Ruger 77/17 Hornet

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Re: Ruger 77/17 Hornet

Post by bazz »

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

cheers bazz
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Kilt a B&C boar burrower today.....

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

You still rubbing that rifle in everyone's face? I thought they had you locked up for treatment and were passing your firearm around. Evidently, you are a tough guy to catch!
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

Yeah, well...... I'm gonna slow down with it this week, as I have a 17 fireball coming. Gotta make my own comparisons, dontchaknow......
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Well, don't slow down with the picture and story posting. I feel quite safe saying we have ALL enjoyed the pictures you have been kind enough to share with us. Very impressed with the variety of critters you have in your area. Hope you have the same success with the new FB as you have had with the nifty little rifle we have all been following. Best of luck and looking forward to meeting the new arrival!
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I only wish our ground-dwellers stayed active this long into winter...
K = ½mv2
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Nice post Don

I picked up a 77-22 Hornet from a friend 2 days ago, one of the early guns. If I get some time today I'll get a few rounds fired to see if it's a keeper or sell it, hate the trigger.

What trigger and what weight did it end up at, and are you now shooting reloads or still factory? I really want a repeater 17 AH but the HH will suffice, I am thinking a heavy bbl cz is in the plans if the 22 hornet is a bomb. I know you are a ruger fan ( I am too, but the 2 pc bolt and heavy trigger are not like my old Tang safety guns quality.

Keep posting picts of kills, you are THE spokesman for Ruger sales, lol

Allen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Allen....don't forget you can shim the bogus two piece bolt to make a difference in the accuracy department. Everyone I know of that's done it has said it was worth the effort.

Congrats on the new rifle too! Santa came a tad early, did he? ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Post by terrace »

just sold a 77/17 hmr made a nice profit . looking for a 17 hornet seems the rugers have dried up
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Thanks.

Good news is, using the new hornet brass I have the bolt closes and tightens up the front of the bolt, adding 1 layer of masking tape to the case head the bolt won't close, so the bolt slop is minimal and I believe that indicates no need to shim this one. I have one each 22 k hornet and a 17AH contender barrels, that I haven't done any load development for ( still have "new" bolt guns for Alturas I need to sort out and load 500 rds each) but the friend reducing his inventory selling it makes it a good starter for my 2 grandsons when they get "of age". One is 2 months old, the other 5 yrs old ( but left handed, dag nab it) so unless it patterns bullets it's a no brainer.

Nice sunny day, right now, but soggy ground. I may take it to my folks in an hour to try and walk a target out to 100 yds to send a few downrange tonight, tomorrow the family is showing up and I may sneak over to dads ( my cement bench shooting range) and decide if it's a keeper.

Merry Christmas, and as usual, please thank all of your family who served, for me, for their service. I lost my FIL last weekend, my squirrel hunting, load development partner, who was a guard at the prison in Berlin circa 1953-1955.

Cheers

Allen
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

Allen, congrats on the hornet. The ruger triggers are easy to do yourself. Mine went from 6 3/4 lb, down to 2 lb with some stoning and spring clipping. I have another with the VQ sear and another with the Rifle Basix replacement. I bought another rifle basix for the 17 hornet, but it wouldn't engage the sear. Clay at rifle basix sent me another one. Same deal. He said he'd send me a refund, but nothing yet. It's been 3 weeks.

I am reloading for it now. 10.0 gr lilgun under 20 gr vmaxes.

Have a good Christmas, all......
ECVMatt
.204 Ruger Guns: none yet, but a custom model 7 is being made presently

Post by ECVMatt »

Huntsman,

Glad I read your post about the RB triggers. I have a 17 Hornet on the way and was going to order the RB trigger for it. I guess I will hold off now or look at a SpecTech. Can't wait to get it all together and pop some varmints.
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Okay Don.....now you're just showin' off! :lol:

Do ever spend any time IN the house? :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon