New 20 VT rifle in the way!

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Re: New 20 VT rifle in the way!

Post by Bodei »

There are rock chucks in NE Ca. I intend to look for some this spring.
K = ½mv2
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

SactoBill wrote:Too bad there are no chucks in Cali.
As Bodei stated there are what we call "Rock Chucks" here in Kulifornia. In fact I have seen some really big ones! Some of these guy's are big enough to burn diesel! :eek: I know RIO likes to get after them. He lives up in Oregon and has posted some pics of Rock Chucks he has taken. We have the same animal here in N. Cal.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

futuretrades wrote:
As Bodei stated there are what we call "Rock Chucks" here in Kulifornia. I know RIO likes to get after them. He lives up in Oregon and has posted some pics of Rock Chucks he has taken.
Yeppers, here's one now! (with a sore throat that even Vick's couldn't fix. ;) )

They (Yellow Bellied Marmots/rock chucks) range from N. CA, and up the central area of OR, through southern OR, ID and NV, scattered in the Cascades of WA, and are found in good numbers in both BC and Alberta, but they're protected in Canada. The West has plenty of chucks, but most inhabit high and/or remote areas, which makes for good hunting/stalking in the high country. The best chuck shooting here though is like in the East....around irrigated agg arreas where food is easy and plentiful; alfalfa being the best bet to find the critters.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

HeadLever
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21

Post by HeadLever »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
futuretrades wrote:
As Bodei stated there are what we call "Rock Chucks" here in Kulifornia. I know RIO likes to get after them. He lives up in Oregon and has posted some pics of Rock Chucks he has taken.
Yeppers, here's one now! (with a sore throat that even Vick's couldn't fix. ;) )

They (Yellow Bellied Marmots/rock chucks) range from N. CA, and up the central area of OR, through southern OR, ID and NV, scattered in the Cascades of WA, and are found in good numbers in both BC and Alberta, but they're protected in Canada. The West has plenty of chucks, but most inhabit high and/or remote areas, which makes for good hunting/stalking in the high country. The best chuck shooting here though is like in the East....around irrigated agg arreas where food is easy and plentiful; alfalfa being the best bet to find the critters.
They have a big derby over at Bliss, Idaho every year just for rockchucks. The biggest one this year gets a Liberty Gun Safe, IIRC. There are also typically 15 to 20 rifles in assorted makes and varmint calibers given away for the largest rockchucks and raffle prizes. Last year they raised about $90,000 that all goes to nearby rural schools. Quite a little party to say the least.

More info if interested.

http://www.rockchuckderby.com/
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I read in yesterdays paper that a coyote calling contest in N. CA was being protested and "attended" by the morons at PETA and other bunny-hugging outfits. This is another one of those events I/we all hope does not get the attention of these pathetic fools, as they'll surely come and %&*&(% it up to the 9th Degree for those that chose to attend ligitimally.

OT: "Yes Loretta, the 20VT is indeed a dandy rock chuck caliber!" :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

HeadLever
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21

Post by HeadLever »

Rick in Oregon wrote:I read in yesterdays paper that a coyote calling contest in N. CA was being protested and "attended" by the morons at PETA and other bunny-hugging outfits. This is another one of those events I/we all hope does not get the attention of these pathetic fools, as they'll surely come and %&*&(% it up to the 9th Degree for those that chose to attend ligitimally.
Yeah, we had the same issue back in the itty-bitty Idaho town I grew up in for a local coyote derby. However, they turned the tables and posted all of the 'protest' letters in big signs at the Sporting Good Stores. As I understand, applications to the event tripled and we had folks from Colorado showing up to go coyote hunting.

It may not work in California (or parts of Washington/Oregon), but for here in Idaho that was a perfect strategy.

That memory still brings a nice big smile everytime I remember it.
SactoBill
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by SactoBill »

Wow ok, never knew about the rock chucks. May have to search for them now. :D

BTW, Kalifornia is getting pretty bad about hunting. The state changed the name of Department of Fish and Game to Fish and Wildlife. They had scheduled a varmint hunter information seminar in uber liberal city of Davis. Protests by PETA and other "concerned" citizens forced the DFW to cancel the seminar.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I got an email from the CRPA about the coyote hunt, here in Kulifornia. Protesters tried to get the Fish and Wildlife to shut this down. It was ruled by F&W, this is a contest, so the F&W have no authority to do anything about it! :chin: What the #$%*, the state gestapo is backing away from this.
We all need to voice our concerns about anything that has to due with our hunting rights and especially our gun rights. We all need to remember that the squeaky wheel gets the grease! I firmly believe that anyone who believes in the Constitution, should be a member of the NRA and your states version of the NRA!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Talked to a Tech at Leupold yesterday,about a backorder,and was told that the NRA is receiving 7000 new memberships a day.I hope it continues.Remember registration leads to consification,and that is what the gun grabbers want.They'll chip away if they need to.
Bodei

Post by Bodei »

The director of California Fish & "Wildlife" is squarely in the pocket of HSUS and other animal rights groups and they are flexing their muscle. They have a powerful lobby in Sacto and most of the "city slicker" legislators will support anything they advance. I also "heard" that the director of CDFW is a vegetarian!? That would explain a lot. Part of the reason I fled to Nevada, but I fear Nevada is soon to become "East California" much like Oregon and Washington. California is like a cancer spreading throughout the west. I heard that there is a bill to make a season, limits and tags required for coyotes and probably a lawsuit because there is no "biological" studies to back up the no season/limit currently in place.

Re: Rock Chucks ... this guy has a great YouTube channel with scope cam footage that I highly recommend. http://www.youtube.com/user/MrChuckhunter
Not sure if he's a member on this forum.
K = ½mv2
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

SactoBill wrote:Thanks Rick!

That's the exact scope info I was looking for. My 38 is shipping with a Leupold base. Is yours Talley? Would that make a difference in regards to ring height?

I'm thinking of getting a Weaver 6.5-20x40 for the #1 because the shop I'm getting the rifle from is selling that scope for 30% off list price. I'm not familiar with Weaver's. Would that be a good choice?
Bill
For the Ruger #1,most modern scopes are shorter than those made 30-50 years ago,and I had trouble getting proper eye relief with my VX3 6.5-20,even with leupold offset rings.Most scopes are about 5" or less from the ocular lense to the turret block.Try to find one with 6" or so,and you should be fine.I had to crawl the stock when I cranked up the power on the leupold.I changed the leupold to my LRPV 204 and put a Hawke 6.5-20x42 on the k1V.It was just enough with the offset rings to be comfortable.Bought the Hawke from Brad at CRT.When I rebarrel the K1V it will be a 20VT.It's all good,with plenty Smiles. :) :) :)
Joe O
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill.....I've been much more fortunate than our friend Joe here, as all my Ruger single shots wear Lupy's, and none have given me any trouble in regard to ring spacing.....maybe I'm just livin' right, dunno:

My No.1V pictured with a Lupy VX-III 6.5-20X aboard, mounted without any trouble whatever, not even when cranked to 20X. I've read about others having this issue, but so far, it's never been a problem for me or any of my rifles. Guess much depends on the structural makeup/configuration of the user too, in addition to physical properties of the scope. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

Just two more days till I get both rifles!!!! I ordered a Lupy 6.5-20 LR with VHR and it will be here on Monday as well. So all ready to mount scopes and take them out for a break in session

I also called Todd at Woodchuck den on Wednesday and ordered dies and a Harrel powder measure. I was able to grab the last box of primers at a local store. Only 100 primers but better than nothing.

When I spoke to Todd, he suggested just neck sizing the brass. He said I didn't need to neck lube. Kind of confused about that. Thought I had to neck lube before neck sizing.

Also, I saw a YouTube vid from a member of a Texas benchrest club and he was showing how to gauge the correct COL by taking the firing pin out of the bolt and increasing the depth of the die until the bolt just closes.

Do you need a special tool to disassemble a Cooper bolt?
Bodei

Post by Bodei »

Or you could just make up an unprimed case and use the same method without messing with the firing pin?
K = ½mv2
SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

Ok good to know.