I also had a RIO experience !!!!!

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

I also had a RIO experience !!!!!

Post by TrapperDan »

found a beautiful rifle at a gun show last weekend. man wanted $1,000.00 for it including a large box of loadong components . After 2 days of "yes I will,-no I won't, yes I will, No I won't. :idea: I decided to go for it.Got it all home and did an inventory of all the components.WOW.berger varmint match bullets .primers , powder, over 700 rounds of brass 90 % new all resized ,neck turner, annealed,mostly primed.80 loaded rounds and competition die set .went on midway and priced it all out :D , came to $ 853.00. :chin:That means I just purchased a sako vixen L461 17 mach 4, shilen barrel, built by a smith in Bend Or.for $147.00.His range records showed that between 1999 and 2011 he fired 582 rounds . Thanks Rick for the inspiration.Dan
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: I also had a RIO experience !!!!!

Post by Jim White »

Dude...sounds like a real score. Lets us know how it shoots!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wow, I'm honored to have my name associated with great deals.....I think. Nice score for sure, and I'd have grabbed the Vixen too if I'd seen it. Sweet little rifle in a great caliber; I sure do love mine. Skippy is sure to not approve of that Sako though. :D Congrats on a great find.

I also found another sweet deal last week....bumbled into a virginal Anschutz 1517 HB Varmint in .17 HMR with a 6X Leupold for a paltry amount.....same pawn shop locally.

But as you failed to post a pic of your new weapon, the Gunny has something to say........(don't take it personally, okay? ;) )

Let's see the new find!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

Another Beatiful rifle RIO. Your photos are top-notch. I need to really start hitting up the pawn shops in town here. A guy at work wants to sell me his Ruger 77/22 .22 mag for $400
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
TrapperDan

Post by TrapperDan »

To tell you the truth Jim, It sucks. Just goes to show that all that glitters is not gold. I have shot over 300 rounds through it with 4 different powders and 4 different bullets. It’s like shooting a shotgun. One time I may get in the 3’s.Next 3 shot 2 close together and one 2 “ away or 1” group But mostly 3/4 -11/2”.The guy that owned it was shooting molly 25 grain Berger’s. He was using the lands to seat the bullet as the loaded ones were seated .015 longer than the lands an if you tried to take one back out it left the bullet stuck in the lands and powder all over. Had to re-seat all of them. And all that brass I was so happy about, all trimmed to short, around 1.380.Seems awfully short considering the chamber measures 1.442. I have cleaned the barrel so much I’ve run out of brushes. The action was bedded but the wood had compressed quite a bit so I ground it all out and re bedded. Didn’t help. Last week I took it to a gunsmith. He said it was built up with molly, so he scrubed it and soaked it in his sonic cleaner for 2 days. He didn’t have a bore scope but said if that didn’t help, I would probably need a new barrel. Now it won’t even shoot 1”. So much for a GOOD BUY. How do you know for sure when a barrel has gone bad. HELP. Dan :wall:
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Dan, sorry you ended up with somebody's bogus Sako barrel. Look at it this way......you paid $147 for a Sako Vixen action and stock....now all you need is a new Pac-Nor 9 or 10-twist barrel, and you're good to go for cheap, maybe some pillar bedding to solve the crushed wood issue.

My Sako 17 Mach IV has a Shilen 10-twist on it, and it stabilizes any of the 25 grainers just fine, shoots the 25gr V-Max in the .3's. But don't be too bummed out.....any time you can buy a L-461 Sako Vixen for $147, it's a very good day indeed! I'll give you $200 for it right now, sight unseen! :wink:

Just for fun, my Sako Vixen .17 Mach IV on the bench during a rat shoot here (25gr V-Max's with H322 for 3,860 fps):

The little puppy now has right at 2,500 rounds downrange, still shoots in the .3's. Yours just needs a good new barrel there, Dan. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Dan...sorry to hear about that. I bought one like that myself a while back and still haven't decided what to do with it. The shortage of components hasn't really that though but unlike kids and pets...its not eating anything nor filling up my septic tank so I'll hold on to it for now.

Jim
TrapperDan

Post by TrapperDan »

Hey guys. How would a Lilja 9 twist 4 groove varmint contour work for a 17 Mach IV ?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TrapperDan wrote:Hey guys. How would a Lilja 9 twist 4 groove varmint contour work for a 17 Mach IV ?
Well Dan, a 9-twist would stabilize the 25 grainers okay, probably even Todd's 30gr Gold's should you decide to go heavier. I've never had a problem with any Lilja barrel I've owned, and have never heard a bad word regarding Dan's barrels anywhere.

If you're ready to move on it, I'd say "go for it", remove the frustration factor and have a good shooting M4 in the safe. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA