Ruger Hawkeye or CZ 527 American.

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

Ruger Hawkeye or CZ 527 American.

Post by GlennGTR1 »

I am again in the market for a 204 Ruger. I have heard some good and bad things about the quality of Ruger rifles as of late. No heavy barrels just a walking around rifle for off season varmints and predators a little winter snowshoeing and general all around kicking it rifle. I have a 308 for all my big game needs. The advantange of the Ruger is that it can be had in stainless steel also which is a nice bonus on the wet side. Lets hear your opinions on which you would choose and why.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Ruger Hawkeye or CZ 527 American.

Post by futuretrades »

I have my own dislikes of the CZ rifles. I have more than a couple Ruger model 77 in various calibers. I love the model 77's. One of the most reliable rifles I own. No problems with any one of them. Including the older tang safety models and the newer 3 position safety models. I sold my stainless 77 in 17HMR, to fund my 204R. Wish I had that rifle back.
I did replace my 17 with a CZ 452 American. At times, when things get hot and heavy in the rat fields, I have problems when chambering the next round. I have been shooting bolt rifles longer than I care to think about, and have never had a problem manipulating the bolt, until this rifle. I also do not like the CZ's clip setup.
Just my 2 cents
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

Post by GlennGTR1 »

So a Stainless Ruger Hawkeye then maybe find a nice wood stock to bed it in?????
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

The Ruger would be my first choice!
I like wood way more than a comp stock, but you mentioned wet conditions. If you go this way, I would suggest making sure the wood stock is sealed against any wet conditions you run into. If not sealed correctly, in wet conditions, the wood can swell, which can cause pressure points, and affect accuracy.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Synthetic stocks don't have to look like camo or somebody's driveway either. Here's what McMillan can do for their fiberglass stocks....this one is on my pre-'64 M70 .270 Win:

Not sure if they still offer this option, but it even fooled some guys from Winchester thinking it was wood during a hunt a few years ago; they asked me why I would ever bring a AAA Fancy exebition carlo walnut stock into hunting camp. Ha, gotcha!, It's NOT wood. It's called their "Fibergrain" finish if you're interested and durable as all git-out. Good stuff, and looks good to boot (but a tad spendy).

Oh and on your choice.....the CZ has better accuracy potential. I own examples of both, excellent rifles both, but feel the CZ 527 will outperform the Ruger in terms of accuracy, may not be by much though, but chances are it will have a better barrel. It will also have the excellent set trigger CZ is known for; no replacement Ruger factory trigger to deal with. JMO, good luck whichever way you go. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Rick, I have seen that picture before. Amazed me again!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yeah Jon, she's a sweetie and a life-long hunting friend. Been shooting mulies with her now since 1970, and paid $325 for her from a BR shooter engineer friend.

Sorry to the OP for the OT stray. Wood always looks better, but you just can't beat the synthetics in the wet stuff.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Those fibergrain stocks are as rare as hens teeth, Rick. They haven't made them for several years, if my memory isn't off too much, but they do offer a similar look in a brown/ black swirl pattern that look 'wood" at 20'.

I don't recall the color combo they offer that looks wood-ish, but from what I have seen, sans the grain structure of Rick's stock, the new color combo is pleasing to those that dislike the synthetic look.

6 days and counting :D

Oh, I also agree on the rifle choice, the CZ stocks are a little small for my benchrest shooting, but they are scaled perfectly and have, as Rick said, a great trigger and much better odds of getting a shooter than the Rugers. I just restocked a CZ 527 in 17 AH with a cooper-like forearm and an A5 buttstock, and it shoots much better from the bags. I need to shape it a little more, then send it back to the duplicator for a copy for another CZ I have.

Allen
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

C-Z hands down. Although I'm not a fan of the pencil barrels on the 527 Americans; the walnut stock Varmints really aren't that much heavier/longer. I did handle a new Ruger Predator with the Green Mtn. stock recently and kind of liked it, but in was in .22 Hornet and wasn't sure if they'd ever bothered to fix the notorious accuracy problem of their Hornets.
fwiw, the TC Venture Predator might be worth a look as a knock around, carry-type .204 and the price is right.
trappinjohn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by trappinjohn »

My choice would be the CZ527

I don't have a lot of experience with either one, but have owned a couple of each. The CZ527s I have are the most accurate out of the box rifles I own (204 Ruger and 22 Hornet)
Last edited by trappinjohn on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Out of the box, CZ's are a darn good bargin.

JMO...
jcinnb
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jcinnb »

My CZ 527 Varmint is sitting at UPS site in town, waiting for a freakin TUESDAY delivery to my FFL. It is killing me!