Adjusting M77 Mk. II VT trigger.

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Roverhound
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mk II VT

Adjusting M77 Mk. II VT trigger.

Post by Roverhound »

Has anyone adjusted this particular setup to about 2 to 1.5 lbs?
Seems whenever I get it to around 2 lbs. I loose the 2 stage and the trigger is just one long mushy pull.
I got it back to stock no problems but before I try it again i would at least lie to know it is possible.
I have these instructions (http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/rugervt.html) but like I said, it would be nice to know if it is possible.
Thanks.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Re: Adjusting M77 Mk. II VT trigger.

Post by Darkker »

I used those instructions as my start, unfortunately they are incomplete. The Target models and the predators have the same triggers.
Remember that the weight of pull screw is one thing, but you have a 2-stage trigger (2 things); therein lies the issue.
So think of it more as a shifting of weight between stages, rather than a "heavier/lighter" affair. So what you'll find is adjusting the weight of pull "heavier" makes the first stage heavy, but lighter on the second stage.

It took me a few minutes of fooling around before I could wrap my head around it too.
I have some pictures and descriptions that would help, but apparently I have lost my mind, because I can't find them at the moment.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Roverhound

Post by Roverhound »

If you could find them that would be great! What pull weight(s) did you get it to?
I need to clean it today so it may be a good day to pull it out of the stock and do some fiddling.
I appreciate the reply, I wasn't sure how many people had work with these triggers. It doesn't seem there's a lot of discussion on it out there.
It's odd how Ruger markets the Preditor as having an adjustable trigger but don't mention it with the VT.
Darkker

Post by Darkker »

Think it's a matter of time, they used to market that as a selling point, but as the VT in one name or another, has been out for so long....
I don't have a pull gauge, I just go by feel for it's intended purpose.
I would suspect that I am near the 2# area. I can happily live with a heavier trigger, provided there is NO creep. Was easily done with this trigger.
Just "increase" the weight of pull, will make the first stage not a limp fish, but significantly lighten the *BANG* stage.
Roverhound

Post by Roverhound »

I think I'm close. I can get it to about 2lbs (using a trigger scale) but it isn't always cosistent. One out of twenty trigger pulls, the trigger goes to mush. In other words, no take up and a looooong sloopy pull.
When it's adjusted right it's a great trigger, just wish I could get a reliable 1.5.
I'm off to work on it some more.
Darkker

Post by Darkker »

RH,
I fooled with my predator again last night, and used a scale! Novel Idea, I know.....

Here is what I had written down in my "To do" notes, doesn't make it right, just makes it what I did. So be aware of that.

Cock the bolt and screw-in the bottom allen(farthest away from the receiver), until the sear drops. It won't fire the rifle, but you can hear the click. Back-off that screw about 1/8". It is CRITICAL to make sure this is NOT too light, Make sure you do the test to make sure you don't end-up with a bad day.
Then go to the top screw(closest to the receiver), and Un-screw this one. Makes the second stage lighter. My rifle is sitting at 1.89#.

Cheers
Roverhound

Post by Roverhound »

Thanks, that's pretty much what I did.
I have it down to around 2 lbs.
I put 120 rounds through it today with no problems. I found I had to put a shorter set screw for the trigger weight adjustment or it would hit the stock. I also found that the two rear action screws can also effect it.
Now I may think about bedding it with possibly putting a pillar for the angled front action screw.