Ruger No. 1 for 20 VT build?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Jonesy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington

Ruger No. 1 for 20 VT build?

Post by Jonesy »

Hey guys,

Would a Ruger No. 1 Varmint be a good platform to re-chamber to a 20 VT? I really like the look of this rifle and am planning to get one soon.

If it would be, what calibers would work for the conversion?

Thank You
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Ruger No. 1 for 20 VT build?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

A No.1 would be an excellent candidate for a 20VT. You'll want a 12-twist barrel, so a donor 223 Varmint would be the perfect platform. I've got a good shooting No.1V in 223, and I'm seriously considering making it my second 20VT soon.

The nice thing about using a No1 for that conversion, is that you could use virtually any No.1 with no breach face or bolt face mods, just rebarrel and be done. But if you use a 223V, nothing required except for setback and rechamber = easy/cheap. :wink:

If you decide to go ahead, give some thought to replacing the factory trigger and doing the necessary forend glassing/floating to guarantee you'll get the kind of accuracy the 20VT is fully capable of in a good rifle.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Thanks for the info Rick.

The fact that I could use any caliber for a donor rifle is good to know because I'm seeing more rifles in 22-250, 220 Swift, 6mm, etc., than 223.

I'll have to give some more thought to holding out for a 223, setting it back and rechambering as I was just planning on rebarreling with a match barrel. It might be worth saving the $$$ there and applying it elsewhere regarding accurizing the rifle. :chin:
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jonsey, keep in mind, that if you use a No.1 for a 20VT build, you'll have to rebarrel no matter what. Re-reading my post above, I made the mistake of saying you could just set back and rechamber if you used a 223 donor, but the bore would be a .22 cal bore, not a .20...... it's rebarrel no matter what you start out with when using a No.1 for a 20VT.

Sorry for the mis-speak.....my error. :oops:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Jonsey, keep in mind, that if you use a No.1 for a 20VT build, you'll have to rebarrel no matter what. Re-reading my post above, I made the mistake of saying you could just set back and rechamber if you used a 223 donor, but the bore would be a .22 cal bore, not a .20...... it's rebarrel no matter what you start out with when using a No.1 for a 20VT.

Sorry for the mis-speak.....my error. :oops:

No problem. Thanks for clarifying.

Appreciate the info and I'm looking forward to building a 20 VT. Now I just gotta find a used Ruger No. 1V for a good price. :D
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

While you're on the hunt for a No.1, also keep in mind that a used Ruger No.3 carbine is the exact same action, just a different finger lever in a utility stock with carbine barrel w/irons. Factory (nice) No.1 wood or aftermarket will fit on the No.3 rifle also.

These rifles can usually be had for much less than a No.1, and make for excellent custom rifles with new barrel and wood. I used one for my .17 Ackley Hornet project a while back, used a Pac-Nor SS Super Match barrel, B&C synthetic stock, re-bent the finger lever to work with a pistol grip stock, and wha-la, a budget custom walkabout rifle that shoots better than I can.

Good luck with the quest. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA