Which Ruger?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
choper101st
.204 Ruger Guns: None-Shopping for upper

Which Ruger?

Post by choper101st »

Now that I am retired and have the time, have invites to shoot squirrels and P/D's out of state. Looking at Ruger Hawkeye Target Varmint 26" and the Predator model in 24". Due to age and eye's not being what they were once I do not plan on trying shots out much past 200-250yards. So would either one work well or should I go with the 26" only?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Which Ruger?

Post by Bill K »

For what you are saying you will use them for, either would be fine.. The two inches will make not a lot of difference. If you are using it for a walking rifle, then the 24 inch might edge out the other. But for rest shooting, either. What caliber are you looking at, maybe 204 R ? Bill K
choper101st
.204 Ruger Guns: None-Shopping for upper

Post by choper101st »

Will be in .204 Ruger. Partner says target model he thinks doesn't get hot as fast as 24" model (barrel diameter's look the same to me).
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Post by terrace »

I have a varmint target 204 shoots as well as my cooper and the trigger is nicer
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Same two-stage trigger on the VT and Predator. The VT has a clunky beavertail stock with a fat palm swell. The predator has a more svelte traditional stock
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

choper101st wrote:Will be in .204 Ruger. Partner says target model he thinks doesn't get hot as fast as 24" model (barrel diameter's look the same to me).
The target model won't get as hot as fast... On the outside. But will take much longer to cool down, than the predator barrel. It takes longer to heat up extra steel, and longer to cool it down. When the dogs are out, either way you CAN cook a barrel if you aren't careful.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
VAshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF Handi-rifle

Post by VAshooter »

I have both and the Predator is better fitting for me and less money it shoots great.