Awesome afternoon out with the rifle !

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Awesome afternoon out with the rifle !

Post by 247sniper »

Hi guys,

Just got back in from a lovely afternoon out with the rifle guys, bloody awesome!

Headed out to one of last years productive sniper spots overlooking 6+ fields. Had the custom .223 Ackley Improved shooting the might high BC 80 grain Amax bullets......I needed them in that wind too, 7 -13 MPH wind.

Shooting across the valley the wind was full value right too left, at the shooting position it was most stable at around 7 MPH according to the Kestrel wind meter. Spotted the first victim at 314 yards up the valley along the hedge row, dialed the necessary corrections into my Sightron scope and turned on my cam corder to capture the action, I pressed record and beep beep beep no bloody memory card....bollocks!!!

Anyway, i sent the Amax on its way, followed by a massive thud on the rabbit around a second later from the impact straight into its chest area slightly down wind. I suspected the wind was increasing though the valley, I was watching the trees along the flight line of the bullet and noticed that it seemed to be increasing along the flight path of the bullet greater then what was recorded at the firing point.

Next rabbit appeared around 15 minutes later, this one was at 317 yards, I dialed in the relevant data again, this time adding a little more windage, sent the Amax and boom.... another perfect shot and a rabbit down.

Then I glassed a nice bunny at 371 yards, same again, dialed the shot and sent it, rewarded with a lovely thud a second or two afterwards as the bullet struck the rabbit perfectly.

Finished off the day with the 4th shot and 4th rabbit of the day at 350 yards, another good shot and another good rabbit for the pot.

I was most pleased that I anticipated that the wind was increasing down range and made the necessary adjustment required, I was happy that this was not just shooting practice and range time paying off, but it was more to do with experience, visualization and field craft that paid off in them trick winds.

When I made my way to collect the rabbits i measure the wind speed along the bullet flight pats and boom, i was right, around midway it was gusting upto 13 mpg averaging 10.7 mph along most of the way though the valley. Again, delighted that my shooting knowledge, practice, experience and field craft is paying off!

Hope you enjoyed the read guys, sorry I couldn't record ta videos.

Steve