WSM .223

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Slayer1962
.204 Ruger Guns: TC Venture

WSM .223

Post by Slayer1962 »

Sorry if this has been covered but I tried to search and found nothing. (new here)
I have a Winchester .223 WSM that I picked up used. Beautiful rifle nice expensive scope and terrible groups!
I bought 10 boxes of factory ammo and took it to the range. It patterns like a shotgun! (4-6" groups at 100 yards ugh)
I tried cleaning the barrel again and nothing same thing. The gun appears to have very little use (no wear on it)
I normally would say try different ammo but its not like its even shooting half decent. where do I go from here?
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: WSM .223

Post by futuretrades »

Although I am not familiar with the WSM calibers, I will give you my opinion. When buying a used gun of any kind, it is a crap shoot, Chances are that the previous owner ran up against the same problems you are having and just dumped the rifle. If you are a reloader, you may be able to work out some of the issues with the rifle. If not you don't really have a lot of options to work with, other than trying different ammo, or the problem may be as simple as free floating the barrel, and making sure all screws are snugged up like they are supposed to be. Also, the barrel may need to be de-copperd. You did not mention your cleaning process.
If I am not mistaken , the velocities of the 223WSM, are over 4000fps, which will increase a copper build up in the barrel
Slayer1962 wrote:Beautiful rifle nice expensive scope
. This does not mean that the scope is not the problem either.
Just my 2 cents
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

That would be a WSSM.
They are HARD on throats!! And it is very easy to get them very hot very quickly.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I wanted a 223WSSm when they 1st came out. Love the idea of burning the air with those little 55gr'ers!! :twisted: But before I could ever find one in my area the accuracy claims were already all over the net. Many folks that were way better shots than me couldn't get theirs to shoot & the reloading process was painstaking. I passed for those reasons. At the time I didn't reload & now I have a 204. No need for something with those issues here. Don't be surprised if it doesn't shoot well ever. Sorry.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I also thought about one, but glad I had second thoughts, from all I have read and heard. Will stick with the old tried and true 22-250 or AI version, if I want a decent and good .224 with some zip. :D Bill K :D
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Pretty good advice thus far. But, if all the mechanics are sound [tight action screws, scope mounting, crown, free floated barrel etc...] try:

- getting it bore scoped. it's really the only way to know for sure and it will also reveal if the throat is (a) shot out and/or (b) loaded down with copper..

- try different ammo, but that can get a tad expensive after a while, but some loads just won't do well in some rigs.

- reload for it if all possible.

HTH,
Slayer1962
.204 Ruger Guns: TC Venture

Post by Slayer1962 »

Thanks guys appreciate the input. I actual bought a .204 TC Venture and that is what I have been shooting. I just love the look of that Winchester .223 WSM! I may have been lax in my cleaning I just used Hopes and a brush. I never had a problem with any other weapon with that cleaning regiment but as others have said this may be a different animal at almost 4,000 fps.
truckerwalt
.204 Ruger Guns: RUGER MK II/SAVAGE MOD. 12

Post by truckerwalt »

hoppes will get the copper out but you have to soak the bbl really good and let it set over nite. it might need to be done several nights . another thing I use is copper killer it takes time and elbow grease to clean up a badly coppered barrel. I have found a product called PB Blocker which when used in an absolutely un coppered barrel. I heat the barrel well with a small propane torch--not too hot to touch but good and warm--then run a wet patch of PB Blocker and let it set over night. I can clean it next time after shooting within 10 to 15 minutes using copper killer and a nylon brush. I also use a product called Bore Tech to check for copper. with a wet patch down the bore a time or two it will show green if any copper at all is present. it works for me.