Varmint rifles to the range today!

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Guy M

Varmint rifles to the range today!

Post by Guy M »

And with a new shooter! My friend, who took to shooting with me about a year and a half ago, and I went to the range this morning. It was a little chillier than it appeared, but we shot three different rifles at 100, 200 and 300 yards; a .17 HMR (only to 200 yds), a .204 Ruger, and my old SWAT rifle, the .308 Win "Green Machine." Locally, it's a noted rifle, built by former US 1,000 yard record holder Jim Cloward.

.204 CZ rifle:

With the Green Machine. Handload is 44.5 gr Varget and a 155 grain HPBT match bullet from some upstart bullet company called Nosler....

And here's what a new shooter, a good rifle, a good load can do at 200 yards, ya, that's under a 1/2" spread, from a bipod. Dang. She was so doggone happy & excited. We were running low on .308 ammo, and I wasn't about to let her open that three-shot group up! We did do a little more shooting. BTW, she really liked the Vortex scope that I'm slowly learning to like.

It's gratifying to see a new shooter develop good skills & safety habits so quickly. She's pretty hot stuff with her .45 1911 too.

Regards, Guy
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Re: Varmint rifles to the range today!

Post by inKYfromSD »

Looks like a fun afternoon! It never seems too cold when you're shooting accurate rifles with friends.