600 yard 6 Creedmoor Results

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: 600 yard 6 Creedmoor Results

Post by Jim White »

Hey Guy,

Likewise, I apologize for the tardy reply and being on sale in the configuration you like is always a good reason why. I have a 6mm Remington target rifle in a 40x and so we're both in agreement that there is nothing wrong with that caliber at all. I ended up getting the 6.5 Creedmoor. I didn't have a 6.5mm in anything so I went that way and contemplated between 6.5 CM or the 260 Remington. Years back I would have went with the 260 because of aftermarket brass but between then and now the aftermarket support for the 6.5 CM has caught up and forged ahead.

I ended up building mine on Aero Precision receivers with a JP Enterprise barrel and BCG. Due to so many extra work hours I haven't shot it very much but it does print good with 143-grain Hornady ELDX factory ammunition with a temp scope and scope rings [that were to short to get a good cheek weld]. I also had to wait for the scope [Nightforce NX8] I ordered to arrive along with some taller scope rings. Once it arrived [along with the rings] I was able to get a good cheek weld and a decent group with it. Once I get back to regular work hours I'll start load testing because that Hornady ammunition isn't cheap [not that it can be found these days anyway]. Oh, and my rig is heavy too and Id hate to have to lug it around.

Your mention of the 25-06 piqued my interest because I've wondered if faster twist barrels and some heavier pills, it would seem that would be a darn good cartridge probably neck & neck with the 6mm-06 and 6.5-06. Sure would be interesting.

Cheers,
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Will be watching for further reports on your 6.5 Creedmoor. And your mention of the 25-06, is also interesting. Have shot one for years and it is one fine cartridge. A good number of Deer and a few Elk have fallen too it. But I have not went beyond the original Rem 700 it came out in, in around 1964. A faster twist and heavier bullets might be interesting. All the deer and Elk I have shot were with the Nosler Partition, and some deer with the old standby Core Lokt. Bill K :)

I too, am now playing with a 6.5 Creedmoor and did take one deer this year with it and the 120 Grain Barnes.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I've wondered why the 25-cal cartridges haven't flourished as much as their 24 & 26-cal counterparts have. With the 6.5CM I hope to have all of the load test and final scope adjustments done by the spring time. Fortunately I bought the components before things got crazy.

I also picked up one of those magneto style chronographs, I'm wanting to try that out too since I can do it in any weather conditions unlike my CHRONY.