20 VarTarg Build?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

20 VarTarg Build?

Post by GTOHunter »

After reading about Everyone doing different Rifle Builds and so much talk about how good the 20 VarTarg is on accuracy and affordability I was thinking about doing it myself.

Now I checked on the Cooper Rifle Site and with the prices going on a brand new Rifle from $2,500-$3000 dollar range I'm thinking I can build my own for 1/2 the cost but need to pick some brains here to see if this is feasible or if I should just say the heck with it and buy the Cooper and hope the Warden doesn't ask how much it cost? :chin: :wink:

I like the idea of buying a CZ American in the .204 and building off that platform if that's the first thing to start off on or even going with a Savage Rifle that has the barrel threaded for a Suppressor and going that route....then theres the big question of who to buy a barrel from? I've read several post about differant barrel Companies and seen where Pacnor had a fire and will be down for a while...the other company that makes barrels for Cooper seems good but others said it wasn't the best choice on quality?

Then theres the fact that I need to find a Good Gun Smith that can swap out barrels and do what ever finishing touches there are to having it completed.

I also don't Re-Load my Ammo and was wondering if there is even a Company that does factory loads for the 20 VarTarg?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: 20 VarTarg Build?

Post by Bill K »

Closer to you, one gun smith I can think of that probably could aid you is Bob Green, York, PA. There is a company that puts out loaded 20VT ammo, but I can not recall who it is. surely someone will chime in with that information, or maybe this old brain will come up with the name.. You will really enjoy a 20 VT, once you get your hands on one and start shooting it. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Contact folks like Adam Bently at Dresdin Rifles, Kevin Weaver, Bob Green, Greg Tannell etc. These guys are known for building tack-driving varmint rifles, and the 20VT is high on the list. Also, do you want a single shot w/o the magazine cutout (stiffer, more accurate) or a repeater? That decision alone will make some difference in action/availability. These smiths will also give you solid advice IRT barrel source now that P/N is in limbo for a while.

Also, one of the allures of sweet rifles like Dakota and Cooper, is that they offer actions sized to the cartridge it's chambered for. A Savage, M700 etc, seem massive and clunky alongside something like a Cooper M38 or even a M21. Long experience has taught me that it's better/cheaper in the long run to just buy the 'Cooper/Dakota' or whatever up front. Once you build a rig from parts, you'll never get your money back unlike the two mentioned, as there's folks always looking for them. That is unless you just like putting them together....we've all done it.

I've got four 204's and only one 20VT. I think you can guess which one of those five gets shot the most in the rat patch. ;) Good luck with the project, and let us know how it all shakes out in the end. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

If you opt for the repeater, a Remington 700 in 221 or 17 Fireball would be a good choice. WRT to the Remington 700 there are differences between the 223 & Fireball receiver, bolt faces and the magazine follower for functionally. A 223 action would work but if you need the reliable and repeatability capability it may not eject or chamber very smoothly. As far as being cheaper to build vs buying; hard to say but those wood stock Coopers are getting pricey but then again, so is custom barrels, stocks and gunsmith services.

I built a 20VT off of a Remington 700 Fireball action a few years back and i wouldn't trade it for anything. I purchased two Cooper 221 Fireballs afterwards and I feel the same about them. WRT to the Coopers, it's nice to know that they shoot good, very good in-fact right out of the box and they have superb customer service too.

Hope this helps,
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Post by triggerfingers »

As to your question about loaded ammo...I have seen Hendershots Sporting Goods and American Custom Ammo both list they have loaded ammo for the 20 Vartarg. A word of caution, I have a friend get some ammo for their 20 VT and it would not fit the chamber. Had to pull the bullets and run the cases through a sizing die to get them to fit.