221 Fireball Build

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Re: 221 Fireball Build

Post by triggerfingers »

I have an E R Shaw MK VII in 224 Valkyrie that was not shooting up to my standards. Shot best with 77 Sierra TMK but wanted to go heavier. So I’m building a 224 Valkyrie on a Savage Target action and I talked with the guys at Shaw and thinking about getting it re-barreled in 221 Fireball. That way I will finally have a 221 Fireball in the collection. The search may have just ended.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

triggerfingers wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:00 pm I talked with the guys at Shaw and thinking about getting it re-barreled in 221 Fireball. That way I will finally have a 221 Fireball in the collection. The search may have just ended.
You'll most likely have a new friend with your new FB. Out of all my varmint rifles (a lot of 'em), my two favorite calibers now after decades of varmint shooting are the 221FB and the 20VT. Lots of shooting for not so much powder, plenty of range and rat-smack, and wicked accurate to boot.

I've got rifles with more range and thump, but for the sheer joy of spending a few days in the rat patch, my FB's and VT get more bench time than any of my other dedicated rigs. You won't regret a Furball! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I full agree with what Rick said,,, but will add, you may want to even add a 17 Fire Ball to those two, for sheer enjoyment in a rat or chuck shoot. :D Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

triggerfingers wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 amIt really likes the same load as my Cooper 20 VT......a 5 shot group measures .330 from center to center at 100 yards with Sierra 32 gr. BlitzKings using H4198.
Nice! Too bad this forum does not have "Like" tabs for each post, as this one of yours would get a bunch of BIG FAT Likes! You have found THE load for your Vartarg and Furball! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

I thought the Valkyrie case was larger than the 223 family?

I would push you towards a 222 if you don’t have one in your stable. I picked up one on a Howa mini last year. I had to see what all the “magic” was about. Out of the factory stock and into a chassis. Well it is easy to work with a shoots better than I ever dreamed a factory rig would. 40 grain BK’s and a case full of 4198 makes me grin.
The chassis was swapped out for a Boyd’s pro varmint, pillared and bedded. Picked up a used DIP bottom metal for it. Buddy is tuning the trigger and I am done with it ;-).
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Post by triggerfingers »

It is..... I’m building a new 224 Valkyrie and getting the old one re-barreled to 221 Fireball.
Michael bokovitz
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by Michael bokovitz »

I ordered a cooper rifle in .221fireball I'll let you know how it shoots I should be getting it soon , I was looking to order a Remington 40 xb but Remington is closed up for now . Mike bokovitz
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

triggerfingers wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 amIt really likes the same load as my Cooper 20 VT......a 5 shot group measures .330 from center to center at 100 yards with Sierra 32 gr. BlitzKings using H4198.
Well there Tfingers, you've found the Holy Grail for your rifle, don't change a thing! It doesn't get any better than that. Write down every detail of the load for future reference. Never know when you might bonk your noggin' and forget. :wink: (Great to have rifles that thrive on the same powder.)

Great load, great shooting! :D

Varmints will fear this rifle! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA