New gun today.

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

New gun today.

Post by Tom Kat »

I got a new Tikka T3 today. So far it seems really nice. I am still breaking it in but so far so good. I used some spray and pray 5gr 223 to shoot and scrub with. More testing is needed.
Attachments
20211030_163721.jpg
20211030_163721.jpg (3.98 MiB) Viewed 16819 times
20211030_160550.jpg
20211030_160550.jpg (7.06 MiB) Viewed 16819 times
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Re: New gun today.

Post by Tom Kat »

The scope is a Nikkon Prostaff that came with the gun. Any one ever own a Tikka? Nikkon Prostaff?
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

20211031_152018.jpg
20211031_152018.jpg (3.46 MiB) Viewed 16790 times
Well I took the action apart today and adjusted the trigger. It was easy to do. Put I together and throughly cleaned the Barrel. This was the best group I got with the junky ammo I had on hand.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I think its great 40 people looked at this and didnt have a word to say. I wonder why this forum is dieing?

John Maynard Keynes
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

“Talkers never do and doers never talk.“

Taken from your above quote, ya ever think maybe………
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

jsh wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:45 am “Talkers never do and doers never talk.“

Taken from your above quote, ya ever think maybe………
Forums either grow or they die. That means participation. It dont matter to me either way

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I decided to get a set of Warren Maxima rings for this gun. I will eventually put a VXii scope on it that I own.

John Maynard Keynes
K22
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber

Post by K22 »

The only Tikka I've owned was an early one back in the early 80's. It was in 6mm Rem., a long time favorite caliber, and was quite accurate. The stock design did not suite me so eventually I sold it. I have a couple of Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 scopes that have always worked well for me, but I am not a Nikon fan. I prefer Leupold and Burris, with the Burris Fullfield leading the pack in my world.
Tikka's have a great reputation for accuracy, but I am not there biggest fan. I prefer more metal sitting in wood, but if I need to go synthetic, then carbon fiber gets the nod for me.
Yours is certainly shooting good and with load development I would imagine group size will shrink.
Nice setup.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

I have an old Tikka that was made for Ithaca. It has both names on the barrel. I think it's an LS55? It is a 6 m/m, one of my favorite cartridges. I've been shooting 85 gr. Sierra h.p.'s in it with H 100V powder. Shoot's good with that combo. I've shot lots of ground squirrels and a few badgers with it and it just messes up a jack rabbits whole day. One badger I took at 320 yds. That's the only Tikka experience I have
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I shot a badger at about 300 yards once with a 6MM remington I had. That things was a great shooter.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

20211114_142227.jpg
20211114_142227.jpg (3.5 MiB) Viewed 16640 times
some new Warren rings seemed to help. I was able to get on paper in 3 shots. So on to load development.

John Maynard Keynes
beastmode
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by beastmode »

I had one for several years and was pretty satisfied with it. However, it would be best if you considered that I was a beginner and didn't use it at a professional level. After some time, I decided to enlarge my collection with various products. Right now, I have the P80 builder kits on my wishlist, and my goal is to get them in the following year. Not sure if it will be the best decision, but it took my attention the moment I saw it. And after some research and information, I understood it's a great option.
Last edited by beastmode on Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TK: We could be more interested in your group shooting results if there was some sort of scale to relate the spread to. We assume the holes are .204" in diameter, but a graph, caliper, ruler, a dime or something to show scale would sure be helpful. Also, what is your load? Powder, bullet, primer, case? Loaded OAL or comparator length?

Random holes in paper are......well, not too interesting unless we know how far apart they are and what caused them. (Bughole groups may not need any scale.... :wink: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I guess since you are using cheap ( as you say) 223 ammo, this is a 223 Rem.
From what you showed as to bullet holes prior to and also after the new rings, the shots seem to be stringing vertically. I would check your barrel channel and see if, as the barrel heats, it is not touching somewhere. If so, relive the channel so it does not touch the barrel.
Then try some more groups, even with the ammo you have.
I would also begin reloading and work on a ladder test to find a couple that group well, then work from there, with one item at a time, being changed. i.e. load, primer, seating depth. :)
blue51
.204 Ruger Guns: savage mod 12 with criterian 26" barrel every thing else fac

Post by blue51 »

I have two tikkas one t3 lite .223 one t3 varmint 6.5x55. Both stainless and both 1/8 twist. They both shoot very well the t3 lite more so with only 3 shots then let it cool a bit, the varmint it does not seem to mater so much. They were both bought new and seemed to take a fair bit of shooting to break in. the 223 shoots 40 gr vmax the best hornady 68gr 3/8 to 1/2 75gr eld 1/2 to5/8 my be they can be improved a bit too. the 6.5 shoots 95 vmax 136 lapua 143 eldx and 147 eld 1/2 or less. These are hot loads for a modern rifle and from a bench it beats me up a little bit so I put a clamp on muzzle brake on which seems to help. That changed the point of impact 1 moa except for the 95 they are all over the place now and there are no reloading components to be had here in the great whit north now so be it. I really want 53 gr v max to shoot the sweet spot is probably there someware I just can't find it. Again not enough comonents to get it done.