Remington 700 204 Ruger

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
yrunvs
.204 Ruger Guns: Maybe a Savage

Remington 700 204 Ruger

Post by yrunvs »

Am looking for one. New would be first choice. Do they even make these anymore?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Remington 700 204 Ruger

Post by Rick in Oregon »

There's always some on GunBroker.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

yrunvs

Post by yrunvs »

Thanks I'll check gunbroker out
edit: I checked out gunbroker and I find that I cant bring myself to buy a used Remmy 204.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Why wouldnt you buy a savage or a ruger?
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
yrunvs

Post by yrunvs »

I own Savages and Rugers of various calibers but I do not own a Remington 700. I find that buying used rifles is just not my thing as my suspicious side tells me to beware.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Half the rifles in my safe were purchased used, some to rebarrel, some were good to go as-is. You just have to know the in's and out's, what to ask, what to avoid. If you deal with forum members, it makes it easier to make a perfect transaction for both parties.

If you know your way around a rifle, you already know what to ask, and what answers spell "no". Use your experience to make informed decisions, avoid internet scams, always ask for a picture with the item that also shows it's "real" and not plucked off the internet.

If you do your homework prudently, buying a rifle (or handgun) online is no big deal, just be aware of the pitfalls prior to plunking down any cash.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

yrunvs

Post by yrunvs »

Thanks. I've purchased a fair share of older SW revolvers and such and have been happy with them as shooters but with long guns I am in pursuit of accuracy and do my own reloading to that cause. I always wonder to myself why is this rifle for sale.....shot out barrel or near to? proven inaccurate with any load? has the cleaning been done correctly? etc etc. And then when a nice specimen is found the asking price is crazy.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

That's why a purchasing from a trusted forum member, here or say, over on Accurate Shooter or Saubier is the way to go. At both sites, sellers have a score (or are known) so you can see his trade history, always a good thing. The guys that advertise there are all accuracy nuts (me too, handloader since 1968) and the rifles for sale over there reflect good care by the members who are all varmint and BR shooters.

Of course you can always limit your buying experience to your LGS or big box store and be able to fondle the rifle in question if buying off the internet is problematic for you. I'd suggest listing your "want" over on AS and Saubier, as I know you'll get responses. Remington 700's are not unicorns.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:52 am Half the rifles in my safe were purchased used, some to rebarrel, some were good to go as-is. You just have to know the in's and out's, what to ask, what to avoid. If you deal with forum members, it makes it easier to make a perfect transaction for both parties.

If you know your way around a rifle, you already know what to ask, and what answers spell "no". Use your experience to make informed decisions, avoid internet scams, always ask for a picture with the item that also shows it's "real" and not plucked off the internet.

If you do your homework prudently, buying a rifle (or handgun) online is no big deal, just be aware of the pitfalls prior to plunking down any cash.
Rick...couldn't of said it better. My CZ 527 in 204, I bought second hand. So were two Remington 700's in 204 Ruger and two Cooper M21's in 221 Fireball, all of them shoot as hard as I can hold them, nice round <.250" groups at 200 yards. Also, one can get brand new new rifles that should have never been boxed up at the factory much less shipped out.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

yrunvs wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:27 am Thanks. I've purchased a fair share of older SW revolvers and such and have been happy with them as shooters but with long guns I am in pursuit of accuracy and do my own reloading to that cause. I always wonder to myself why is this rifle for sale.....shot out barrel or near to? proven inaccurate with any load? has the cleaning been done correctly? etc etc. And then when a nice specimen is found the asking price is crazy.
I sometimes sell perfectly good rifles as I get bored with them, or want to try something new, like the one I just bought and put in an after marker stock. I have never sold anyone a defective item...but I was raised old school catholic, my belief system was re enforced with a belt.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
yrunvs

Post by yrunvs »

I have no doubt that many used rifles are perfectly (or near to) okay and that a brand new out of the box rifle may have flaws. But there are so many hack rifle owners out there who do not know which end to insert a cleaning rod if in fact they clean it or are ignorant as to what a bore guide is makes me shudder. The really only used rifle I'd buy is from a bona fide known seller or after scoping the barrel and examining the crown.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I kind of get that. I like to be the first one to get my hands on a new barrel. I have a program for breaking them in. It starts with boiling water poured down the bore-

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

yrunvs, if you're that apprehensive about this potential rifle purchase due to unknown factors in regard to previous care, why not do what most of us do when faced with a similar conundrum.......buy a M700 action (or one of your choosing) from Brownells or the like, order a barrel of your chosen caliber, twist, contour, et al from a known quality barrel maker, and put it together yourself or have your local smith do it for you?

In the end, you'll have a rifle set up exactly how you wanted it. As we all like pics here, I'll share my last custom 204 build for your amusement:

This was put together with a Blueprinted M700 stainless SA, Jewell trigger (10oz), H-S Precision synthetic stock with chassis, skim bedded, Score-High single shot adapter, Holland surface-ground recoil lug, floated Pac-Nor Super Match SS 24" bbl w/11* crown, Rem varmint contour, 11T, minimum freebore and chambered with my own reamer designed from Todd Kindler's 204 Match reamer. It's taken PD's and ground squirrels at ranges past 500 yards shooting the Sierra 39gr BK over RL-10X, and completely vaporizes squirrels shooting the 32's inside of 350 yards. Shoots in the .2's all day. After a couple of rat shooting seasons, she's earned her moniker of the "Silver Princess of Death" or "SPOD" for short for the countless number of rats she's sent flying into oblivion.

You won't find stuff like this on any LGS shelf, so consider just putting "your" rifle together yourself and get what you really want the first time. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

yrunvs

Post by yrunvs »

That is a very nice rifle. I have been considering this rifle in either 204 or 223

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=fi ... ry&s=18144

or this rifle and pillar/stock bedding

https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/rem ... -223rem-26
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I think Rick's suggestion is spot on. There's nothing like being able to specify every little detail of a build. You can buy all the parts necessary online as the pocket book can bear. Then, once you have all the parts, put it together yourself OR have the gunsmith of your choice assemble everything. You'll end up with a rifle you'll love for years to come. It only hurts once!!
Custom 204 Ruger.jpg
Custom 204 Ruger.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 19857 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em