McMillian Stocks??

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

McMillian Stocks??

Post by Ray P »

I"m going to try a mcmillian stock on my M-995 sako action. The M-995 has detachable box magazine, but I'm going to make this a single shot. Any ideas or in put on such a job. I'm looking at the A-5 or A-4 stock from mcmillian.
Thanks and I'm sure any in put would be helpful!
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: I've got four of their stocks, and am happy with them all. Have you checked out their website first? I'd also call them and run through what you have in mind prior to ordering to ensure you get the best possible stock configuration and inletting for that Sako.

Not sure if you'll do the work yourself or have your smith do it, but I've had Darrell Holland do two for me, and between McMillian and Holland, they are both bughole shooting rifles. McMillian did a Mdl 70 .270 for me themselves, and it shoots better now than ever before, so you might want to consider having them do the entire job. I did a Sako Vixen with one of their stocks myself, and it turned our excellent too, so I'd say if even I can bed one of their stocks properly, anyone could! :lol:

My opinion of McMillian? First class all the way. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ray P

M995 action

Post by Ray P »

Rick this action is great but a real nite mare. This why I put it out for comment. To see if anyone tackled one. McMillan said they will inlet for rem 700, winchest model 70, howa. When I mentioned a Sako, they asked what model................this were thing went wild. Mcillian said no M-995. I mentioned that I'm making it a single shot, so no need for milling for a magazine well. I by the stock with no guarrenties of fitting.
Now I took a part a long acton Rem 700 and my Sako M-995 and measured rear mounting screw to front mounting screw and both actions are within .125 and action diameter are within .040 of each other.
I have been looking between H/S Percision or a McMillan for this action and aways find a stumbling block. My smith belives he can fit the action??
Thanks Rick for your in put and I'll keep you posted of any progress.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
Ray P

Update....338 lupa imp

Post by Ray P »

Just received my LimP#2 reamer from GJS Tools. This is a 35* with most of the taper removed from the factory 338 lupa. The hart barrel and A-5 McMillan stock should be here this month (June)....................lets hop all goes well.
Later
Ray P :lol:
Ray P

Re: McMillian Stocks??

Post by Ray P »

2nd update. My smith has my hart barrel chambered for LimP#2, threaded for Sako M-995action, checked the bolt lugs, installed a visis muzzle brake. Call mcmillan on 7/18/07 looking for stock and they said 2 more weeks. The stock was in aother part of their plant getting an adjustable check piece installed. So........as of 8/09/07 were on hold waiting for the stock. All I can say is the barreled action looks beefy. The hart is 1.250 for 4" and finishes at 1" at the muzzle. Thought I might be shooting her for August, but September looks more reasonable.
Will keep ya posted
Ray P
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

:mrgreen: Mcmillan A-5 stock arrived on 8/30. Black with green marble thru her.............looks sweet. She's at my smith now..........so.........soon maybe soon. We update when I get some pics.
Later
Ray P
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Update..........Action enletted in stock and working on a sako trg trigger guard. So far so good. The wrist was a little thin on the A-5 Mcmillan stock to get the tang of the M-995 action flush with the stock without dropping the trigger to far below the bottom of the stock. So we're getting closer. Looks like a good heavy tactical rifle>Later
Ray P
doubleA

Post by doubleA »

I have had a TRG 42 and just recently bought a TikkaT3. I have noticed how simular the actions are between the two, the Sako being larger of course and the bolt release on on the right side. I am not familular with the number designations, are these a variation of the M995 action?

On another note the Sako shoots like a dream while 2 days ago I shot the Tikka and it's a true dissapointment from what I expected after all I have heard about them.

Life is good, Give God the Glory.....doubleA
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

doubleA... the M-995 Sako and the TRG-42 are amoust identical. The trigger off the 42 will work and marry up to the 995. The bolt release is the same on the 995 as the 42. The995 has the same bolt lift as the 42, three locking lugs on the bolt. Reciever threading is the same on both. The best part is the m995 rifle is 1/3 the price of the TRG's
Great action to build off of!
Hope this answers your questions.
Later
Ray P
doubleA

Post by doubleA »

Thanks Ray for the info, yeah the 42's are a little pricey but instant gradification...no waiting :D
Life is good, Give God the Glory.....doubleA