Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
jayph
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by jayph »

Would you buy one? I like the rifle but have been told by alot of people not to go near a Ruger center fire. One man is a guy I hunt with every year, said he bought a ruger and it was junk. Hated everything about it. Now most people I talk to are refering to Rugers bought 10 or more years ago, How are today's Rugers? I would hope that they have made strides to improve there rifles. They offer some Calibers I would really like to consider but all the negativity has got me worried.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Hotshot »

Ruger firearms are generally excellent right out of the box. No company can be all things to all people. There may be better products for your application and maybe not. What caliber and for what use are you considering? Throw out some moreinfo and you will get plenty of good advice here. I am retired, but I work a few hours a week at the gun counter of a local sporting goods store. I hear good and bad about most brands, but often the problem is misapplication or a misconception of what the customer should expect. The store I work for sells more than 2 thousand Rugers a year with very few complaints. I never hesitate to recommend a Ruger.
jayph
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jayph »

Looking at the stainless version in .280 Rem going to try to find a load for the 140gr Tipped tripple shok bullet. It will be a back up rifle when I go for my moose and elk hunts. But also be used on deer when the conditions are bad.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I love the 280 Remington cartridge. You should be well served with that one for just what you described. Heavier bullets can be used for those big critters if you like. Not many companies offer the 280 these days and that is a shame. The Hawkeye version of the M77 has a great new trigger mechanism, I think you like it just fine.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Your friend had a bum experience with Ruger....but based on my experience that's the exception rather than the rule, by a long shot. I've got three great Rugers: a MK77 Target GRay in .204, an Ultralight MK77 in .223 and a #1 in 22-250. I'd say give'm a look. YMMV.
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I have owned 7 Rugers two of the M77's with tang safeties and 2 M77 mkII's and a Target Grey. The MKII's in 204 some times flip a shell up and jam. The triggers are a little stiff and were replaced by me with Timney's . The accuracy can be excellent. The Standard versions. The ones with the nice walnut stocks need to be glass bedded. The finish on a Ruger is very nice they are good looking and have smooth bolts. With a little tweaking they will shoot up there with rifles that cost much more. I like my M77 with the tang safety a .270 standard after tweaking the trigger a little and glass bedding I changed the kick pad to a limb saver. It is a very accurate and comfortable gun to shoot and quick on target in the field. My .243 M77 with a tang safety has a heavy barrel cut down to 18 inches and has been glass bedded by some one else who owned it before me it was my only rifle for years and has thousands of rounds through the barrel and shoots great. If you get a M77 with a tang safety and decide to work on the trigger go with Rifle Basix's sear the Timney is two much trouble on the old M77. But is fine on the newer MKII's. Rugers have turned out so many rifles in different calibers you can just about find a good deal on the one in a caliber you desire and a cofiguration you want don't be afraid to buy one you can just about always find one for under $450 dollars. check Gunbrokers.com They are good looking and handling rifles that can be improved with a little tweaking hear and there like kick pads. Now a kick pad can cost $25 dollars a trigger $90 and glass bedding $25 so if the price is right go for it. I have never had problems with the larger calibers jamming only the skinny little 204.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

What did you end up getting? I currently own 3 Ruger centerfire rifles but have had experience with many more. One is a .243 with a tang safety. It was my first centerfire rifle and I still love it. The other two are MKII, one in a .204 and the other in a .270 WSM. They are great and all are accurate. I have had a little trouble finding a load for the .270 however. When I load it hot, the accuracy goes away. The load I am currently using is mild but will put 5 shots that can be hidden by a quarter. They are all excellent quality.
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

I've had some bad experiences with Savages but that's not to say I wouldn't buy another. On the other hand I've had two Rugers, the latest a 7mm08 M77 light weight in target gray with the L6 trigger and it's sweet. :D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
HogPopper

Post by HogPopper »

What exactly is an L6 trigger?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The L6 trigger is Ruger's new/improved and simplified trigger. It really is better, easier to work on, and most guys I know much prefer it over the 'old' triggers.

On Ruger quality: I've owned Rugers since the late '60's, still own two of their MK-I 22 pistols, M77's, rimfire rifles, custom 10-22's, and to date in all that time, have never had a dog or a problem of any kind. In my opinion, they are probably the best deal out there for the money, and certainly the most complete product line available from any maker.

This is coming from a guy who has full custom varmint and hunting rigs, Rems, Winchesters, Brownings, Sakos, CZs and the like. Ruger makes a solid product, and they stand behind it. No matter what a person is discussing, there will always be someone who will bad-mouth that product. If you polled 10 people, my bet would be that at least 8 or 9 of them would favor Ruger as a good firearm. At least that has been my experience.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Well I just got to thinking I don't own a ruger rifle--But before you think bad thoughts about me I do have a Ruger Pistol.. But Rick in Orgen I always like your answers..
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Ruger makes a solid product, and they stand behind it.
Absolutely! In the unlikely event that you get a dud from Ruger, I wouldn't worry for a second that the company wouldn't take care of you. Ruger's customer service is among the best that I've ever seen.