Tikka T3 204 Varmint rifle

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Yotecallr
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Tikka T3 204 Varmint rifle

Post by Yotecallr »

Does anybody have a Tikka Varmint SS synthetic rifle? If so, what is your opinion of the rifle?
Only accurate rifles are interesting....
Sam in Perth
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x42

Re: Tikka T3 204 Varmint rifle

Post by Sam in Perth »

I assume you have got an answer from somewhere else or moved on by now, but someone else may have the same question...

I bought a Tikka T3 Varmint SS in .204 in May and have put about 400 rounds through it. A very useful rifle review (.22/250 calibre though) can be found at the link below.

http://ausvarmint.com/av/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=28

A couple of comments to add:
-The action is VERY smooth, and the general fit and finish is excellent.
-The stock is very plasticky and makes a "twang" sound when fired, but I have actually come to like the sound. It is nothing but utilitarian and keeps the cost of the package down. I had a budget of AUD$1,500 and was much happier to buy $1,400 worth of action and barrel than have a pretty stock.
-You can't load the magazine through the ejection port and it is nearly impossible to individually load the little .204 rounds, which means you are slave to the magazine length of 2.288" for the COAL.
-The rifle is heavy and weighted towards the front.
-I can't fault the trigger, it's great.
-With mine, the optilock mounts came with the rifle from the factory (no additional expense)

That is all the dirty laundry I can air on this rifle. But the most important point is that it really shoots. Mine loves the 40 gr Vmax and even though I only shoot off a bipod, 5 shot groups average out between .4 and .5". I'm sure it could do better off a bench with careful load development, but I'd rather park myself 200 m from a rabbit warren, and listen to the "twang", "thwock" sound combination.

I nearly bought the Weatherby Sub-MOA Varmint but went with the Tikka for the stainless steel and detachable magazine.

I can definitely recommend this rifle and I'm happy to answer any questions.
Sam

Tikka T3 Varmint - Bushnell 4200 6-24x42 Mil Dot
Winchester 9422