New Cooper

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

New Cooper

Post by Captqc »

Received my new Cooper Phoenix in .204 Ruger and the happiness factor is maxed out. :D If I can shoot her as well as the test target then Skippy is in for it next spring. I've got until then to save up for a scope. Plus I've got time to set up for reloading.
Edited 07/05/09: Okay guys tell me what you think of this scope on the new Cooper? :idea: If you look at the close-up of the stock you can see red "web" and the scope has red "splatter" :eek: so...... is that over the top or does it say look out Skippy? :huh:
p.s. don't let my son (Rat Force One)or my E.O.R.F.S. buddies see this or they will have me committed! :lol:
p.p.s.s. This scope is over $1000 so I'll be accepting donations if you all agree I should do it. :wink:
Gary
Last edited by Captqc on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: New Cooper

Post by Ray P »

Captqc :lol: Very very nice, congrads and good luck. She sure look like a sweet heart. Always like the way they cut there stocks.
Enjoy and later.
Happy 4th to you too.
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Congrats on your Cooper......you'll love it! Just got back from my Montana trip, and the Phoenix turned over 1000 rounds, and my Varminter just over 2000 rounds (not all on this trip). I'm still amazed at how well they shoot. You're in for a lot of fun.

PM me when you get ready to reload.......I may be able to help you with some loads, etc.
ImageImage
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Thanks Keith, here's what I plan so far on the reloads: The test target listed H335 powder and that's the same powder my son (Rat Force One) uses on his .223 loads, so I'll go with that. Also they used 32 grain V-Max Bullets and as my Remington 700 loves the 32 pill I start with those. Beyond that information I'm all ears. Gary
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Gary,

Let me know how you like it. I'm looking at adding a larger cal (perhaps as large as 6.5mm) to my varmint arsenal and I've eyeballed the Coopers. A tad pricey but it seems that all one needs to do is add a scope and work up a load.

Jim
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Captqc

Very sweet rifle. I'm looking at the Cooper Phoenix as well however mine will be something larger like a 6.5x284 or the .260. I got to handle a couple Phoenix's while at Scheels in Iowa City last weekend and few in love. Keep us posted on how she shoot!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Captqc wrote:Also they used 32 grain V-Max Bullets and as my Remington 700 loves the 32 pill I start with those. Beyond that information I'm all ears. Gary
It will be interesting to see how that goes for you. Mine seems to like the 39 and 40 grain pills better than 32's, though I haven't experimented a great deal with the smaller heads.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

hey gary
as an honorary member of the E.O.R.F.S., I think you do need to be committed, and send rifle and scope down to me so i can dispose of that thing properly. :eek: :lol: I promise not to say a word to the rest of the gang. :music2:

That scope looks like you connected with skippy at very close range, and he puked all his guts and blood on it. :lol: I think skippy will laugh all his guts out when he sees that combination :mrgreen:

Congrats, and have fun reloading and working up loads for them rifles of yours, and I know you know who to turn to for any questions you have on the subject of reloading!

PS; NOT ME
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rat Force One

Post by Rat Force One »

Yep, I'd have to agree with Kevin. The scope looks likes when Garth blew squirrel guts all over your sun shade. Aside from that you've got the right brand picked out. If you buy the scope I'll have you commited. Let me know when you want me to take it out for its test firing. I'll show you how to shoot it.
nothing beats red mist in the morning
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Well I guess it will be black then! :shock: Boy, I should have just bought it and let them see it in the field! :wall: :eek: :lol: By the way Junior you'll have to wait to get your paws on my new Cooper! :cry:
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

I'll be the dissenting opinion, Gary. I'd buy that Leupold with the red splatter, just to have something a bit different.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Okay, I've held off as long as I could.......Gary, get the scope with the rat blood spatter! How many guys have scopes to match their rifles? We've gone this far, might as well have designer rifles and scopes, right? :wink:

Dare to be different! :eek: I do all the time, and folks just think I'm a bit off center.......anybody can be normal!

Now chant with me: "I want the blood spatter scope........I want the blood spatter scope........"
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Way to go Rick..........You said IT............I'll second the BLOOD splattered Leupy............It has class. Your gona have to get "blood " on the rifle/scope sooner or later.
Good choice ..........now get the hammer out and brake open your piggy bank :eek:
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Thanks for the input guys, at this point it's a we'll see as I don't have the coin right now. Gary
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Well Gary, I guess you will just have to give me that cooper and I will equip her for action! :eek:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.