I have a question about rate of twist.

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

I have a question about rate of twist.

Post by Va varminter »

I was on the Remington and Ruger websites tonight and noticed that the 220 and 22-250s were 1 in 14 and 223 was 1 in 9. Why is that? Is it so people can shoot the heavier target bullets from the 223?
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Re: I have a question about rate of twist.

Post by kenbrofox »

Va varminter,
I too was hoping you'd get a reply to your question.Did you receive any answers from the other sites? cheers,Ken.
' Pay it forward buddy '
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

No, don't worry about it. I was kind of a spur of the moment question. It is not going to affect anything I'm doing :)
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Believe it is nothing more than tradition. When both calibers were introduced, believe 55's were considered "heavy" at the time. Others, please chime in.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

I believe alcoco is correct on the reasons why the 220 and 22-250 are still at 1-14. Because of the popularity of the AR, the companies have gone with a faster twist to suit demands. I don't think the companies have any incentive to change the twist on the first two cartridges.

To be sure that changing the twist, would make the two cartridges more versitile. The 1-9 in my CZ Varmint 223, shoots 40 grain bullets well, along with the option of shooting the heavier bullets up to 70 gr.

Not to steal the thread, but it appears that the 204 could function very well with a 1-10 or 1-11 instead of the 1-12. The latter does limit most from being able to get good accuracy from the 40 gr. Vmax. Yes there are other options like the 39 gr. sierra.