What were they thinking?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
ACLakey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage .204 Predator Hunter(soon)

What were they thinking?

Post by ACLakey »

Our local range has a 200 yard range and next to it a longer range out to 600 yards. The officials decided to do some improvements to the 200 yard range which could have been a good thing. The start the process three weeks before rifle season opens in these parts which forces everybody to the three benches at the 600 yard range. People were backed up five deep waiting in line for a chance to shoot. I did not bother sense I was dialed in and really but was taking my daughter to get more shooting time. We stopped at the 200 yard range where they were pouring concrete around the shooting benches. Here is a before picture.

I did not take an after shot, but they did not raise the benches before pouring about 6" of concrete. Now the shooting benches range from 24"-30" above the ground to the top of the bench!! You can't sit and shoot, basically you have to be on your knees with some of the benches to be in a shooting position...sad. I brought it to their attention and just got puzzeled looks from the range master. I had to show him the benches were to low, he looked upset and said oh well and walked off. They ruined a good thing. I emailed the board members at the sports park and called one with no response. The part that angers me is I just renuwed my membership and can't use the facility any more.
RUD
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper model 21 phoenix

Re: What were they thinking?

Post by RUD »

Looks like a super range before there screw up. I would be ticked off also. Hope you have an alternative in your area. I have just rejoined a local range here, and they make some wierd decisions also. The range is not near as nice as yours was though. Good luck, Rudy
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Andrew: "What were they thinking?"......seems that's the problem, seems nobody WAS thinking! :chin:

Bummer, maybe you can take off the bench tops and put risers on them to get back to the proper elevation.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ACLakey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage .204 Predator Hunter(soon)

Post by ACLakey »

I am a Civil Engineer and have on multiple occasions offered my services but they always seem to know best. I offered to review the plans and was turned down, I offered to design their drain field and septic system a few years back and was turned down. Before too long this place will look great but be completely non functional....sad
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Can you get a refund on the unused portion of your membership dues? I doubt the amount of money in question is worth getting too worked up over, but you'd have a pretty solid argument for a refund after the changes that have been made to the range.
M_D
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by M_D »

Sorry to hear about the problems. I noticed the front roof drip line looks about like the local range here, located barely forward of the rifle muzzle. Just a small drizzle sends me packing, that's the one major complain I have about the local range I shoot at.