winchester 25 wssm shealth II

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
serpent71
.204 Ruger Guns: xr-100

winchester 25 wssm shealth II

Post by serpent71 »

i saw one at my local gun shop. i have never owned a winchester rifle but i like the look and feel of this gun. has anyone one on here had or shot a shealth II. the gun is used but hard to tell and i think the prices is good too. any info i can get form you guys would be great

thanks
serpent71
.204 Ruger Guns: xr-100

Re: winchester 25 wssm shealth II

Post by serpent71 »

anybody used a 25 wssm i have no experience with the super short mags and wondering if its worth buying getting mixes ideas about its preformance and that i should just stick with a 25-06
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Well, I do have extensive experience with a custom barreled .243 WSSM and it is a true tack driver. The .257 WSSM should be a bit better balanced cartridge given the larger caliber. I do like the .257 caliber although in Roberts Ackley Improved cases. The short fat WSSM case has proven to me that it is efficient and accurate despite what others say about the "thick" necks, and other blather. The question isn't so much about the cartridge as the particular rifle. It's a crap shoot when purchasing any rifle, may as well toss a coin as to whether or not it'll be a hummer or not. No one can predict that, but the cartridge is good. May not be the answer you were looking for, but no one can provide a reassuring answer that the rifle in question will live up to your expectations.

Here's my last sight-in group from the .243 WSSM with new cases loaded on a progressive press with Varmint Grenades and Hunter powder. 5 Shots .331" one wind flier, 100 yards, 3,570 fps.

22/250
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by 22/250 »

big fan of the winchester rifles. i had the older model stealth. with the h&s stock in 22/250

triggers are easy to adjust though i did get mine changed for a jewell trigger and it transformed the rifle.

very underrated rifles over here in the uk. they just dont seam to get pess like the remmy 700 does.
toolman
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper 21mtv ar15 custom ar15 custom remington700

Post by toolman »

I bought a 25wssm stealth to use as a custom project and made a 243wssm with a 30" pac-nor 3 groove 1/8 twist 1.330" diameter. My smith said it was probably the nicest machined action he had ever seen. Great guns. I have an original stealth in 223 that I turned into an ai last year and love it. I have the stealth II floorplate and stock if anyone is in need. The 25 is an excellant deer and antelope cartridge and some new slugs really make it a long range varminter. Get it.