Which .204 to buy...CZ-USA or Savage?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Varoum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Which .204 to buy...CZ-USA or Savage?

Post by Varoum »

New member 8) , I'm considering this one. http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon_pre ... hunter.php

My question is how fast is the bullet speed in this riffle? Will it shoot the .40gr properly?

Varoum
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've been told that the advertising specs for the Icon say a 10-twist barrel, but it's a typo on all their material, and it actually comes with the usual 12-twist. For that reason, shooting any 40gr .204 bullet will be a crap shoot.

Do know that most 12-twist 204 Ruger rifles do shoot the 39gr SBK quite well though. All my 204's favor that bullet, both 12 and 11 twist barrels.

Do your homework, maybe even call TC to verify the barrel twist before you purchase. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

If you want to try 40's I would try the Berger 40's. They have a flatter base than the V-Max. My rifle seems to like the flatter based bullets.

39gr BK
40gr Berger
32gr V-Max
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

I noticed that the CZ-American comes with the scope rings and Varmint does not.....what should I be looking for when purchasing scope rings if I go with the Varmint Rifle...is their only certain ones that will work the best with the CZ-Rifles?....I really like the "Millet" brand scope rings and bases......does that brand have rings and mounts that will fit? :chin:
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Yes, Millett makes ringmounts for CZs, but they're kind of hard to find in stock; I noticed Midsouth SS has 'em listed in their catalog. Leupold, Warne and Burris also make them. Millett makes the only "low" I know of, but of course you're getting into bolt handle clearance problems, even with some mediums and certain scopes. I've had the stockers, Burris and Warnes and they're all well-made. The Milletts probably aren't as "beefy", but are windage-adjustable I believe. My "medium" Burrises that were sent were actually just a few .000's lower than the stock ones (.540); I wanted lower ones after I modified the bolt, so they're for sale if anyone's interested.
alan108
.204 Ruger Guns: Cz 527 Varmint

Post by alan108 »

GTOHunter wrote:Thanks for adding to the Post Alan....its always nice to get more opinions!......How do You like the weight of the CZ-USA Varmint Rifle....I was thinking about getting the American because its lighter in weight? :chin: :chin:

I honestly don't find the extra weight a disadvantage,more an advantage,I don't take many standing shots and when i do I find the extra weight better.My Cz has accounted for some good shots off the bipod,best so far a rabbit at 309yards,i'm sure the rifle can outshoot me! I've now started to use a sling to carry the rifle and find that the weight really doesn't matter then.Hope that helps in some way.

Alan :)

Just noticed the part about Millett mounts,I use them on my Cz's and with the windage adjustable type they are very easy to set up,BUT, same as over there,they are not too easy to find everywhere in the UK.
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Well I'm getting much closer to putting in my order for my CZ-American .204,so far it seems that the "Varmint" Model is going to be my choice?I'm weighing in the options and the Heavy Barrel in the Varmint seems to be the way to go and as long as the Millet rings and bases work and won't cause issues with the bolt action.I've been working a lot of over-time the past 2 weeks and it looks like the next week or so is going to be just as busy/worse and its now or never....I'll probably call the Dealer I've bought my Savage 7mm-08 from and get the ball rolling next thursday.Next thing is to start driving everyone crazy about which Scope is going to be the best for my price range and style/type of Hunting? :chin: :roll: :wink:

I'd like to say "Thank You" to everyone here at .204 Ruger for answering my questions and giving such great advice to a Newbie! :oops: :D :duh:
DUSTER
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 CZ 527 .204s

Post by DUSTER »

I own both Savage and CZ rifles in .204... I use my CZ American with a 4.5x14 Clearidge scope as a "walking" varminter for moving around and covering some ground in PD towns. My heavier Savage rifles I use off a shooting table or with a steady rest.
For both rifles I use Harris bipods. Both brands of rifles are very accurate. The smaller CZ makes a wonderful truck gun for jumping out of the truck to shoot at a varmint while snapping in the magazine clip in to shoot. Either rifle will make you pleased so take your pick.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

This is a rather late post on this subject. My personal experience with the CZ Varmint in 223. On both of the CZ's, the composite stock was made too thin. The magazine box was contacting the action hard, before the BA was firmly in the stock. In both cases, I had to remove steel from the top of the magazine box, leaving a small gap when firmly in the stock. Talked with the gunsmith at CZ and he acted like he knew nothing about it. Those barreled actions are fitted into the stock in Kansas City and they should have picked up on that stock being to short, top to bottom. The Americans have no such problem that I have heard of.
K22

Post by K22 »

A CZ would be a very good choice and I think the American would be more in line with what you said you were looking for. A CZ American maybe 6.5lbs. but not with those steel rings, scope, and sling. You'll have to add a pound to that weight.
My Kimber,................

...........which now is sporting a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 and a Titanium bolt handle weighs 6.5lbs. ready to hunt. In comparison, my early Model 7 Rem. in 17Rem. sporting aluminum mounts, 2-7 Leupold, and an 18" barrel weighs 7.4lbs.
I have no problem shooting Coyotes off hand with either rifle. The biggest secret to that type of shooting is in the sling and low powered scopes.

Anyway GTOHunter, I thought I would temp you with the Kimber Montana. :D
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

K22....that Kimber is one Sweet Looking Rifle......do they make one in a wood stock?I'm so into the wood stocks......I never had a Synthetic Stock Rifle....I know for a fact that they can be more accurate...just gotta have that beautiful wood grain tho! :chin: :wall: :roll: :D ;)
K22

Post by K22 »

They make a 204 in the Varmint wood stock, but in a sporter weight barrel it's only the Montana.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84m/varmint
http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84m

As much as I love wood I have to admit that I love my Montana. I've got the weight down to 6lbs. 4oz. ready to hunt.
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

I would prefer the CZ for these reasons:

1. The CZ is a true short action, while the Savage uses a block to shorten it.
2. The CZ is not nearly as heavy as the Savage.
3. I prefer the CZ trigger to the Savage Accu-trigger.
4. CZ hammer forges their barrels, and this may be superior to the Savage button-rifling process.

However, I do like the tang safety on the Savage, and Savage has a very good reputation for out of the box accuracy.

Also, you may wish to consider the Ruger M77 Hawkeye, Kimber, the Tikka T3, the Weatherby Vanguard, Sako, Browning, Remington, Winchester, and others. And, the above comments regarding the two are mostly personal preferences.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")