Which .204 to buy...CZ-USA or Savage?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Which .204 to buy...CZ-USA or Savage?

Post by GTOHunter »

I'm caught between a dilema of which Rifle to buy...here's the story! :roll:

I have been looking and searching for months at which .204 I wanted to get and narrowed it down to the CZ-USA .204 527 American or Varmint,brand new and top it off with a Leupold 3X9X40mm Matte Black scope and rings.I like simple and it is going to be putting down all types of Varmints and Predators and it will be out in the heavy timber,open fields and thick brush for some serious Hunting....I did see a Kimber on here that someone just bought that could sway my choice that direction too?

My other choice is a Used Savage Model 10 .204 with the heavy Bull Barrel,Accu-trigger,it is in the Brush Camo,with a Camo shoulder strap with the Camo scope that adjust in the front and back..which I'm not thrilled about because I like a simple scope with good clear glass and no-thrills!The gun is HEAVY... :shock: I didn't think it would be too bad but after packing it around a few times I don't think its going to be enjoyable out in the rolling hills,hollers and open fields I have to carry,drag this tank thru?I would probably have to add a tri-pod/bi-pod to keep it sturdy and shot it while out Predator/Varmint Hunting.

Is there any other .204 Rifle I'm not giving a chance or that is a good straight shooter and better than the CZ-USA?Which ever Rifle I choose it will be used a lot for Varmint/Predator Hunting and packed up and down hills,hollers,pastures,CRP Feilds and thick woods/timber and used a lot! :duh: :chin: :D

Thanks for helping....GTOHunter :)
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Which .204 to buy...CZ-USA or Savage?

Post by Glen »

CZ :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Thats an easy one. Hands down CZ. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

+ One for the CZ! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

The TC Venture is the only factory 204 out there that comes in a 10 twist which would enable you to use the 40 gr offerings. All other factory tubes come in 12 twist and are marginal for the 40+ grainers. I may possibly be looking to picking one of these up to add to my 204 arsenal. Rat fields beware.
Savage Vaporizer
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have a CZ in a 223 and two Savages in 204. You are correct, the heavier bull barrel will get very heavy quickly when carrying it all day. Silverfox does carry one of the heavy ones around. The CZ is a very nice rifle, it weights about 6 1/2 pounds out of the box and is nice to carry around all day. I am a big guy and I have a difficult time holding that light of a rifle steady shooting it off hand. I got a lighter weight Savage, a thumbhole that I enjoy very much. It is more accurate than my CZ.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

The Remington VTR will do what you're looking for.
Savage has a new predator with 24 inch fluted medium weight barrel, wish I could find one around here to trade for.
My experience with the sporter weight Savage rifles has been very fine accuracy but almost too light handling for "good feel". Kind of whippy-I don't know how else to explain it.
Never tried a CZ, aren't they from a communist country?
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Thanks for all the great advice....seems I'm swaying more and more towards the CZ after talking with everyone here! :D ;)

Hotshot....I believe the CZ is originally from Russia but I belive they have a Company here in the USA based in Georgia if I'm correct? :chin:
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

C-Z has is short for Czecholslovakia; that country was a Soviet satellite from after WWII, despite a bloody uprising, until the USSR dissolved. C-Z USA is based in Kansas.
If I was buying "foreign", I'd go with the C-Z Kevlar or the deal on the walnut Varmint at http://www.budsgunshop.com. For USA-made, the newer Savage Predator Max I as was previously mentioned, would be tempting.
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

Well we have both CZ rifles and Savage rifles for varmint/predator hunting and I can tell you they both shoot very accurately right out to the box with factory ammo! I myself do not like the CZ set trigger but that is just me, I also don't care for the safety being backwards as opposed to my other hunting rifles in model 70 Winchester, once again my thoughts on the subject. The wife likes her CZ rifles and she shoots t he lights out even at her age..............oops! strike that OK :D
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Just as Tonk, I have had both. The safety on the CZ I got used to and it shot great. The Savages, my preferrence, I love. I have the Savages and sold the CZ. Do I wish I had the CZ back, only if it was an American.
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
alan108
.204 Ruger Guns: Cz 527 Varmint

Post by alan108 »

This post is late, sorry for that.I've purchased a Cz Varmint in .204 and over the last couple of weeks have been getting used to it.Gradually getting longer and longer shots,best so far,a rabbit at 309 yards,I find that it's deadly accurate,using 32 Hornady V-max over 27 gn H322. IMO I think it's one of the best value rifles 'out of the box'.

Alan :)
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Thanks for adding to the Post Alan....its always nice to get more opinions!......How do You like the weight of the CZ-USA Varmint Rifle....I was thinking about getting the American because its lighter in weight? :chin: :chin:
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

CZ for sure.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I would go with the varmint version over the American. I have the American in a 223 , 6 1/2 pounds out of the box. It is very lite and I have a difficult time keeping it steady off hand. Shooting with sticks is no problem. I prefer about 7 1/2 pound rifles but I am a big guy and shoot better with the heavier rifle.
Please, no Sidewinder today!