CZ 527 American, opinions.

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

Post by GlennGTR1 »

I own a Ruger Hawkeye Predator, which is currently my walking and stationary varminter. Good solid rifle but a bit heavy for any serious patroling of the high country. I was looking at the CZ 527 American in 223 Rem. I was very impressed with the single set trigger, probably the nicest, lightest factory trigger I have ever squeezed. I am wondering if any one here owns that particular rifle, or one like it in a different caliber and how well it shot. The only thing I would maybe have done is to get the action glass bedded. I like the more traditional look of the rifle and at a advertised 5.9 pounds it would be real nice on my many hikes and snowshoe adventures. A leupold 3-9 or 2-10, some rings that have had a case hardened finish would probably make for a very classy looking shooter. How does your CZ shoot?
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: CZ 527 American, opinions.

Post by Song Dog »

I don't know a single person who doesn't like the American.
Hopefully Melvin will see the thread and chime in. Its a good'n forsure.
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Varoum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Varoum »

I own a CZ 453 Varmint flutted barrel .17HMR with the set trigger. I love the set trigger. It shot better than I could. Voilà!
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I own a CZ527 American in 204 and I like mine. Off the top, the only quirks with it are;

a. High scope mounts. It's one of those built in things, but I've gotten used to it.

b. Longer than normal reach to the trigger when in the set position. Again, one of those built in things but it's more noticable if you have small hands.

c. Barrel heats up quickly. I have other 204's to help out with this and besides, the faster it heats, the quicker it cools. Naturally, this observed more when shooting from a bench.

d. Protruding magazine. May or may-not be a bother (no problem with me).

Otherwise, they are swell guns. After beddding and free floating, it became a hammer. They're really nice as a carry rifle.
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

We have had 2 of the CZ American rifles and both have been very very accurate to say the least! I purchased a CZ in .222 Remington and it shot 1/2 groups for 3 shots with Hornady factroy ammo by golly. The wife's is in the .223 caliber and it too shoots 1/2 to 5/8 3 shot groups with our handloads. ;)
The only thing I didn't like about mine was the backward safety compared to the other rifles I own.
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

The 527 is light, has a comfortable stock, the "set" trigger is great, looks good and shoots most bullets/loads well. some people may not like the look of the magazine (I am one) but the rifle handles and shoots so well I got over it. :D
Jimbob
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1

Post by Jimbob »

If it's the same trigger as my cz550 in .308, the ordinary trigger adjusts quickly and easily to your preferred weight - I prefer that to the set trigger.

High bolt lift can be an issue with mounting the scope low, but Leupold medium rings got it just right for me. The stock CZ rings are very high.

Build quality is excellent. I'll be getting a 527 to complement my 550 as soon as I can justify another calibre ...
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

My American is in 221FireBall. My Wife has purdy much took over ownership of it when we're out groundhoggin. It shot 3 different loads well enough I had to shoot 10 shot groups to decide which one I wanted to use. Copper fouling in mine is next to nothing & I only clean it real good at the end of the groundhog season. Every Spring I check it out by pulling a solvent patch thru & a dry patch. 3 shots at the range & we're after the hogs again. It is light & handles extremely well for us. I think you will like it in any caliber. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Glen, I have the composite varmint in 223, a friend has one just like it and another friend has an American. All three of them will shoot vmax into 1/4" at 100. But, it has been almost a year until I could get a load to shoot 50's and 55's. After about 500 rounds, mine now will shoot loads that were terrible last year. I have no answer. The other fellows don't get good accuracy out of the 50+ bullets but have not really worked at developing loads like I have. I have read other reports on various sites where the experience matches mine with 50+ bullets. They claim to have traded them off.

Loads that work

25.3 of Benchmark and 50 SX Hornady and Speer HP.
23.5 of 2200 with the same bullets.

These will now shoot 1/2" groups.
Neil S.

Post by Neil S. »

Does anyone know if the stock on the 527 varmint is the same as on the american? I'm still planning my 20VT repeater and I'm just wondering...
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

I've got the CZ-USA Varmint .204 and I think it looks the same as the picture of the "American" on the CZ Web Site? :chin: :duh:
Neil S.

Post by Neil S. »

Thanks GTOhunter, thats what it looked like to me too.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Neil S. wrote:Does anyone know if the stock on the 527 varmint is the same as on the american? I'm still planning my 20VT repeater and I'm just wondering...
When I bought mine, the only difference was the Varmint stock had the barrel channel opened up for the heavier barrel (mine is a wood stock).

HTH