Factory .204 offerings

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Seventy 1
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Factory .204 offerings

Post by Seventy 1 »

Hello,

new to the site but the info is great here.

I currently own a few centerfire rifles and am set on getting one in .204. After reading through many of the forums I would like to purchase a 204 with a 1-11 twist but all the factory guns are almost exclusively 1-12. Any thoughts as to why?

Potential purchases: CZ 527 , Tikka T3 Super Varmint.

I have a CZ 452 and it shoots like a dream. I like the 527's action but hate the fact that the bolt throw comes up so high. This certainly limits my scope and ring choice. If there's one thing I hate it's a scope mounted way too high on a rifle.

Love the T3, especially with the Picatinny rail built in but absolutely hate the plastic stock.

Any ideas??

Thanks guys.
Last edited by Seventy 1 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Re: Factory .204 offerings

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Brad will be able to offer a solution to the bolt clearance issue (see link at top of page - CRT)
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Re. the 1:12 .204 twist: could be they want to hype the speed of the .204 by encouraging use of 32 grain bullets over the slower-fps 40s; dunno. fwiw TC's Venture allegedly has a 1:10 rate, although I've also read that was a possible typo.
Also, don't know where you live, but the last time I checked the Tikka SV wasn't available in .204 in the U.S. You might check with Cooper to see if they'll make you a .204 Model 21 with a faster twist barrel, or maybe just asking will put some heat on them to offer it; am not sure who makes their barrels now.
Good luck with your search, as you have a good point there.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RowdyYates wrote:Re. the 1:12 .204 twist: could be they want to hype the speed of the .204 by encouraging use of 32 grain bullets over the slower-fps 40s; dunno. Am not sure who makes their barrels now.
Rowdy: You're right, the 12 twist was intended to capitalize on the 32 grainers at the onset, the industry figured we wanted speed first and foremost. As for Cooper barrels, they use Wilson Barrels, as Wilson actually owns Cooper now.

Good point on the faster twist though....exactly why I designed a custom Match reamer based on TK's original design for my 11-twist custom M700/Pac-Nor 204 Ruger. That baby shoots ANY 40gr bullet, and shoots them quite well indeed. :D

Seventy 1: Welcome to the forum, and don't fret that CZ bolt-handle issue at all, as our good friend and sponsor Brad at CRT has just the ticket for that CZ issue, and his unit looks much better than the factory bolt handle to boot. If you're after a CZ 527 in 204, go for it with confidence. (Like you, I shoot a CZ 452 Varmint HMR (with Brooks trigger), and the thing shoots fantastic.)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Another ++++++ for CZ's (in my case) is there barrels look darn good with a bore scope. Dunno' about Tika's.
Seventy 1
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Seventy 1 »

Hi guy's

thanks for all the great info in the reply's. Speed marketing make sense concerning the .204 and 1-12.

I'm north of the border so we do have access to Tikka's Super Varmint. Weird though, as we usually miss out on any special offerings and our southern allies get all the goodies.

Note sure, but I think sending a bolt to the US is a big hassle concerning all the Federal legislation and whatnot.

Thanks again fellas.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Seventy 1 wrote:Hello,

new to the site but the info is great here.

I currently own a few centerfire rifles and am set on getting one in .204. After reading through many of the forums I would like to purchase a 204 with a 1-11 twist but all the factory guns are almost exclusively 1-12. Any thoughts as to why?

Potential purchases: CZ 527 , Tikka T3 Super Varmint.

I have a CZ 452 and it shoots like a dream. I like the 527's action but hate the fact that the bolt throw comes up so high. This certainly limits my scope and ring choice. If there's one thing I hate it's a scope mounted way too high on a rifle.

Love the T3, especially with the Picatinny rail built in but absolutely hate the plastic stock.
You might want to check out the Thompson Center rifles...I heard that they are 1:11 twist......

Any ideas??

Thanks guys.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

If the twist scares you off, Try a TC Venture.
They are a 5R barrel with a 10-twist.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

RowdyYates wrote:You might check with Cooper to see if they'll make you a .204 Model 21 with a faster twist barrel, or maybe just asking will put some heat on them to offer it; am not sure who makes their barrels now.
Cooper will build a rifle with a custom twist and barrel, if you would like. However, it's a pretty expensive option in my opinion ($325 plus cost of barrel).

Seventy 1: May I ask what you plan to do with your .204? I have a couple of rifles with 1:12 twist barrels. One of them (Krieger) performs better with the 32 gr heads while the other (Cooper) prefers 39 and 40 gr heads.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

Jim-I bet the Tikka barrels are dam good as they are made by Sako. Here is a 5 shot group from my Tikka 595 with a medium heavy barrel... wish I had a twin of this gun in 204.
Imagel
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

jrwoitalla wrote:Here is a 5 shot group from my Tikka 595
Where's the other 4 shots :lol:

The next centrefire I buy will definitely be a Tikka (unless I can afford a Sako) with the set trigger option.
They look real nice too
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

jrwoitalla wrote:Jim-I bet the Tikka barrels are dam good as they are made by Sako. Here is a 5 shot group from my Tikka 595 with a medium heavy barrel... wish I had a twin of this gun in 204.
Imagel
Well, the proof is certainly on the target. My CZ-204 is capable of doing that @ 200 yards as long as I can hold it still [which is a challenge in it's own right] and I imagine your Tika will do the same. If you ever get the opportunity run a bore scope down the tube I for one would be interested in what you find. Since it is a Sako, their reputation speaks for it self.

Also, thats some darn fine shootin' & holding.

Jim
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

It doesn't always shoot that good, but it shows to go ya of what it is capable.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Seventy 1 wrote:Hi guy's

thanks for all the great info in the reply's. Speed marketing make sense concerning the .204 and 1-12.

I'm north of the border so we do have access to Tikka's Super Varmint. Weird though, as we usually miss out on any special offerings and our southern allies get all the goodies.

Note sure, but I think sending a bolt to the US is a big hassle concerning all the Federal legislation and whatnot.

Thanks again fellas.
You don't send them the bolt.....They send you the handle....its a no brainer to put it on......Thompson is also making the new Dimension in .204 but it i a sporter barreled version.....they tell me that next year they are going to make some calibers available with Varmint type barrels.....I have the CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar....it shoots better that I do......LOL