Delete

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Keith in Ga

Delete

Post by Keith in Ga »

Delete
Last edited by Keith in Ga on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Re: New Kimber....

Post by huntsman22 »

very nice!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Keith, congrats on the new Kimber! You may have brought home a friend for life.

On those 200gr SWC's: A couple of my Kimbers had the same issues until I got a chamber guage from Dillon, made by EGW. I found that many of my old handloads using RCBS dies did not give the proper .468" taper crimp, and the hulls were a tad too fat to chamber properly. After finding the problem via the EGW guage, I ran them all back through my Dillon crimp die, problem solved, as now virtually EVERY one chambers, fires and ejects without any problem whatever.

It's all in the crimp.....468" - .469" is perfect, and allows flawless chambering of those 200gr SWC's. Enjoy that new Kimber. :D
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Nice looking Kimber you have there. WRT to crimps, don't go overboard because the case head-spaces on the case mouth. Also WRT functioning as Rick pointed out, the amount of case crimp is critiacal for accuracy. Laock-up is the other critical factor for accuracy. My ball guns like .471 & the wadd guns like .469.

HTH
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Nice.That would be my choice for a 45 carry gun,that would do the job in IDPA CDP class, as well.The full sized grip on a Commander with the Bobtail,is a great handling gun.I have been having occasional failure to feed,and tightned up the taper crimp,but it was sticking on the down stroke(lee and hornady dies)An old friend recommended the Lee carbide taper crimp die.($17)Sinclair,Midsouth,etc
I have it,but not tried it yet.In any case .469 should work on the lead SWC seated to barely expose the bearing surface.To cut down on the smoke,I switched from Clays to Trail Boss 9gr,
behind a 200gr SWC or RN,cut the smoke by 60%.Imposible to double charge.Another check is the lead bulllets want to be .452 ,no larger.Have fun.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Joe O wrote:Nice.That would be my choice for a 45 carry gun,that would do the job in IDPA CDP class, as well.The full sized grip on a Commander with the Bobtail,is a great handling gun.I have been having occasional failure to feed,and tightned up the taper crimp,but it was sticking on the down stroke(lee and hornady dies)An old friend recommended the Lee carbide taper crimp die.($17)Sinclair,Midsouth,etc
I have it,but not tried it yet.In any case .469 should work on the lead SWC seated to barely expose the bearing surface.To cut down on the smoke,I switched from Clays to Trail Boss 9gr,
behind a 200gr SWC or RN,cut the smoke by 60%.Imposible to double charge.Another check is the lead bulllets want to be .452 ,no larger.Have fun.

Have you tried WST? I have started switching over from Bullseye to that and it burns really clean. I've heard Clay's is very similar.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Jim White wrote:
Joe O wrote:Nice.That would be my choice for a 45 carry gun,that would do the job in IDPA CDP class, as well.The full sized grip on a Commander with the Bobtail,is a great handling gun.I have been having occasional failure to feed,and tightned up the taper crimp,but it was sticking on the down stroke(lee and hornady dies)An old friend recommended the Lee carbide taper crimp die.($17)Sinclair,Midsouth,etc

Have you tried WST? I have started switching over from Bullseye to that and it burns really clean. I've heard Clay's is very similar.

Havent used too many powders for 45ACP;Clays,Longshot,Trail Boss,is all I can think of right now.I try to get a clean burn as I can,and shoot mostly lead in 45 and 38.
Keith in Ga

Delete

Post by Keith in Ga »

Delete
Last edited by Keith in Ga on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Nice gun you will not regret buying a Kimber. I have a custom2 and love it. I am just getting into reloading my handgun calibers. Scored a new progressive press today and dies. Components are tough right now. Time will make it better, I hope?