HK VP9SK birthday present

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

HK VP9SK birthday present

Post by skipper »

I got myself a new pistol yesterday, a late birthday present from me to me. I got an H&K VP9SK I picked up from the Bass Pro Shop in Katy. Every time I hear rumors about gun new restrictions I seem to suddenly need a new gun. I don't get it? There is another version, the P30SK, that is the same gun but hammer fired. I guess i just like the striker fired handguns better nowadays. I won't miss having to turn off the manual safety before squeezing the trigger. This is definitely a well made pistol. Feels good in the hand and is adjustable with interchangeable backstops and side grip panels so you can rally get the grip just right. Drop the magazine, lock the slide back and turn the takedown lever to remove the slide for cleaning. Too simple! I love it.
VP9 1.jpg
VP9 1.jpg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 12851 times
I have all the shipping mess off the gun and lubricated ready to fire. Just need the range to open in the morning to go test her out. I ordered a holster from El Paso Saddlery that will be in next week along with some trijicon rear sights. There's a trigger upgrade available but I haven't tried the one on it yet. Just have to see how it works tomorrow.
VP9 2.jpg
VP9 2.jpg (4.31 MiB) Viewed 12851 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: HK VP9SK birthday present

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Congrats on the new pistol there, Skipper. HK makes some fine, reliable guns for certain.

But it's a poly-framed pistol and striker fired. Not for me. I'm a die-hard metal frame lover, and it must have a hammer. I want to SEE that hammer! In my collection, there is one Glock, a G43 given to me by one of my sons when he worked for them. Every other handgun in my safe, revolvers and auto's are either steel or alloy frame guns.

I admit it, I'm a dinosaur living in the 'plastic gun' time. Just don't leave your new pistol laying around where your dog can get it.....

After carrying a 1911 .45 in combat, I just can't imagine carrying or relying on anything else. But that's just coming from a dinosaur. :lol:

Enjoy your new birthday pistol. A new gun is quite special to guys like us, no matter what it's made of. And the best thing?......We have choices!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Just got back from the range and I have to say, WOW what a shooter. I'm impressed!!! I think this new gun and I are going to get along very well. Even in rapid fire mode I was able to stack them up in the bulls eye. That's saying something cause my grip isn't the best when shooting fast. I put 200 through her without a hiccup. Now I'll just have to wait on the holster from El Paso Saddlery. I have to admit, it is larger than my Hellcat but not by much and can hold 13 plus one in the chamber. I also like the full fingered grip that comes with one of the magazines. That sure helps keep things under control when firing for effect.

Rick, I was just the same as you for a long time. Then one day I bought my first striker fired pistol, a Glock, and I have never looked back. Carrying with the hammer cocked back on my old Kimber and others was just doesn't appeal to me these days. I carry concealed all the time now and I just prefer not having the lint trap open all the time PLUS not having to remember the safety. Faster, cleaner. At least for me it just makes sense. The striker fired guns don't have the same trigger break that I have come to love (S&W) but they have come a long way. It's kinda like squishing a marshmallow with this gun. Just feels reassuring.

By the way, if your dog can chew on your weapon, what does that say?? Probably better leave the guns for responsible people.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I bought myself a VP9 a couple of years back and I really like it. The only negative part about it and H&K in general is some of the components are on the spendy side but then again, that's an old news-flash. At the time I also procured a CZ P10C so both of those are quite comparable with each other.

Naturally like Rick, I like steel guns too...I have plenty of choices to choose from and thats a good thing.

Enjoy,
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

nice gun
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes