Shooting the 1911-

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Shooting the 1911-

Post by Tom Kat »

Today I was able to take advantage of a nice day and shoot some steel plates. I will post some still pics here later, but wanted to share a link to my youtube video. Its less than a minute long- https://youtube.com/shorts/SkHzNku8nls? ... iDqd9T6kMF
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Re: Shooting the 1911-

Post by Tom Kat »

Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Nice shooting TK.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Thanks! Not bad for a 62 year old who hasn't pulled a trigger in a few months. The funny thing is I did that 1 handed. Then reloaded and tried to use 2 hands and aim...and wasn't as successful. Maybe its a true combat shooter? I have a really nice Springfield Trophy Match...but somehow, this one is more fun to shoot.

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

There is just something very pleasing about a standard GI 1911. :D
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I agree. Very tempted to get a shoulder holster and carry it

John Maynard Keynes
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Tom...I shoot the 1911 one handed myself, I find it easier plus a longer sight radius.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Jim White wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:10 pm Tom...I shoot the 1911 one handed myself, I find it easier plus a longer sight radius.

I saw an old army training film, thats what they trained them to do in combat

John Maynard Keynes
skipper

Post by skipper »

Here's an interesting fact.

In the Marines the Colt 1911 is only issued to Noncommissioned Officers and above. That was E4, Corporal and above. We weren't even allowed to qualify with them until receiving our blood stripes. That's the red stripe down the legs of the Dress Blues. Marine tradition says it commemorates the loss of 90% of the Officers and Noncommissioned Officers killed during the Battle of Chapultepec in September of 1847. That's a castle in Mexico City. Other stories refute that account.

It was and still is a big deal reaching the rank of Noncommissioned Officer in the Marines. Whenever you got promoted, they "pinned" your stripes on by punching you in the arms where the stripes went. Only those the rank you were receiving and above were allowed to administer the blows. Usually one Marine on each side pulverizing you in unison. Everyone in the unit got to participate. The blood stripe went on the pant legs, SOOO they would knee you on the legs pinning on your blood stripes. I witnessed many a Marine needing to go to Sick Bay after getting promoted.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

My good friend was in the 82nd airborne. They get "blood wings" in much the same way. I had never heard about the blood stripes, thats interesting. The Non Coms are the backbone of the marines. They are the professional soliders.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I had to go and look at pics of dress blues. I didnt realize the red stripes has a meaning. I just figured everyone had them. What is the red piping on the sleeves about? Do all non coms get a parade sword?

John Maynard Keynes
skipper

Post by skipper »

You hardly ever see swords in Marine day to day duties. They are mostly used for formal ceremonies. I didn't learn sword drill until DI School on Parris Island. Swords were a commonly required for any type of parade or formal ceremony. Not every Marine needs one, but they are often required for Noncommissioned Officer and above. The Officers had different swords and their dress cover had a quatrefoil and other accessories depending on rank. Enlisted Marines had solid brass eagle, globe and anchors while officers had gold and silver plated.

What's curious was the club separation. Enlisted had the E Club that was shared between the ranks of Private, PFC, Lance Corporal, Corporal and Sergeants. The Staff NCOs had the Staff Club and Officers had the O Club. Staff NCOs and Officers had private rooms while the enlisted had to share quarters. NCOs were in two man rooms while the Non-Rated were usually in 4 man rooms. There was a lot of separation between the ranks so that fraternization was kept to a minimum.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

The Marine I know the best is my Uncle Doug. He voluntered in 1970, his brother was drafted and he didn't think it was fair. So he ended up in an artillery unit near the Ho Chi Minh trail. For many years I had the understanding he lobbed shells at the VC and that was it. Eventually my keen interest in military history and weapons brought me to the original M16. I learned about how they first generation were not well regarded by our troops.

SO I asked Uncle Doug about it and he said they were unreliable and he had his dad mail him a model 12 shotgun from Kansas. I asked him why he needed that. His answer- "that was to shoot Charlie when he was in the wire"...I was surprised as he had never mentioned that in 35 plus years to me. So I asked him...How often was Charlie in the wire? And his answer was "every night"! He was proud of the fact Firebase Ryder was never over ran. I came to know he had a sniper shooting at him, and lots of other stories.

I respect Marines and all service people. My uncle is 75...and still a jarhead to this day.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Now I am thinking about the other 2 Marines I knew well. One was a neighbor of mine growing up. Chris was a very nice man. He served in Guadalcanal and told me he had to eat bananas for 2 weeks as they had no food. He didnt tell a lot of stories, Chris was a very fun guy to hang around with. Outwardly, it didnt seem to affect him much, but he did drink a lot...

The other Marine I knew better. His name was Bob and he was my Grandpas hired man and basiclly a family member for many years. He was a big old boy, tough as nails and gentle as a kitten. Very good to all of us. Bob was drafted and went in as a tank operator in WW2. His experience with operating equipment made him a natural for the job. Bob was on Iwo Jima. His best friend was shot and killed in his tank. He had nightmares the rest of his life about that battle. I read up on Iwo a lot, Bob was one of only 8 tanks on Iwo Jima. He did tell me he saw the flag go up on Mount Sarabauchi (I dont know which one it was)

They were both good role models to me and part of the greatest generation. May they rest in peace.

John Maynard Keynes