Looking at possibly picking up a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Looking at possibly picking up a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Matt: Use Unique for the standard or mid-range loads, and 2400 for the hunting loads. 2400 is NOT suited to light loads, being much too slow a powder. Matter of fact, in rifles and handguns, never use a slow burning powder for light loads, as detonation can occur and destroy the weapon. It has happend many times to unfortunate handloaders, some lost more than their firearm.

Another suggestion: Any time you get a load from someone off the internet, always confirm it with a good reloading manual. All it takes is an unintentional typo on the senders part to cause grief at the shooters end.

The loads I suggested have proven safe and reliable in all my .44's since the early '70's, but it never hurts to confirm and stay safe. It will also give you the peace of mind and confidence needed every time you squeeze the trigger. Good luck in deer camp! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Re: Looking at possibly picking up a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Rick:
I definitely planned on researching the loads in my reloading manuals prior to cranking out a bunch of rounds. You've given me some good ideas on what components to try and now I'll work up some loads and see what she likes!

Skipper:
I jumped on Ruger's website and judging from the serial number, the revolver was made in '91. I've got my dad's in .45 Long Colt and it has a rounded trigger guard. I can't wait to get mine out and give it a try.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle