New Carry Pistol

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

New Carry Pistol

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Many here know my history and fondness for the 1911 in .45acp, going all the way back to Southeast Asia many years ago. There's nothing like a .45acp as a fight stopper in combat. I've carried one version or another for all that time, and yesterday added a new Kimber Ultra CDP II Pro Carry to the stable.

This puppy will augment my full size 5" Kimber Tactical, and Kimber "Commander" size Pro CDP II, being much smaller, but with the same punch for concealed carry. It will get broken in this weekend with 230gr hardball. Here's the little guy all ready for action:

And here it is compared to the "Commander" size Kimber:

Side-by-side size comparison:

Just thought I'd share the cool new stuff with my forum buddies. Everybody have a great Labor Day weekend! :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: New Carry Pistol

Post by acloco »

Put my name in for the giveaway! I want...well...either one!...heck...or BOTH!

VERY nice!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco: Okay, we'll have a raffle...let's see, $100 per ticket, and I'll ONLY sell 100 tickets. Ready to sign up? :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Sweet Kimbers you've got there. I've been toying with the idea of getting a 1911 but can't figure out which one to get. I know I want a 5" barrel, adjustable sights among other goodies but I'm always torn between the Kimbers and Springfields. The only 1911 I've got is a trophy match long slide Springfield which was very sweet!

Since I couldn't decide which 1911 to pick up, and I'm quickly falling in love with revolvers, I picked up a Super Blackhawk....at some point I'll just have to make a decision on a 1911!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wolf: Both the Kimbers and Springfields are very high quailty pistols, and you'd be served well by either as you already know. Both companies also offer quite a large selection of frame and barrel sizes too. My primary 'shooting' pistol is my full size Kimber Tactical 5", the Commander-size and my new Ultra Carry are just for that purpose: carry pistols.

You will love that Super Blackhawk, one of the finest hunting revolvers available. I'm a double action kind of guy, and also hunt with my Smith .44's. Revolvers have the ability to digest more powerful rounds, and you don't have to police brass in the puckerbrush either, no small matter for the serious reloader. It's great to have both flavors, both revolvers and auto pistols available......choices are good.

When just scouting or hiking, I always have a companion on my hip, and away from civilization, it's usually a revolver. In town, it's always a 1911 .45. I refuse to be food for predators.

As with your Custom Shop Smith .44, I would guess you'll scope the Blackhawk also? :?:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Rick,

The new Ruger will most likely end up scoped at some point. For now I think I'll shoot it with open sights since the Smith & Wesson is a virgin when it comes to deer hunting. Once she get's a few chances under her belt, I'm sure I'll get the itch to take the Super Blackhawk out.

When I get closer to picking up a 1911, I might have some additional questions for you.

Thanks,
Matt
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Those are some nice ones.

I have a Kimber Gold Match II 1911 that is my absolute favorite hand gun. For me there is no other style of handgun that feels like a 1911, they just fit the hand and are in my opinion are the best shooting hand gun made. I also have a Kimber 8400 bolt action rifle in .270WSM. It is the classic and the wood is so nice for a production rifle.

Can't go wrong with any Kimber, and Springfield's are nothing to sneeze at either.
Doveryai no Proveryai
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Here is my $.02 worth. Kimber's customer service is unbelievable. Long story made short - my Custom had a very slight bit of creep in the trigger and I just couldn't leave well enough alone so off it went to a nationally prominent pistolsmith. After I got it back it would double fire frequently. One time I put in a fresh mag and when I pulled the trigger five rounds went down range! This really got my attention so after a call to the Kimber factory I went to UPS on a Monday and sent it in. It came back to me two days later with a perfect 3# trigger - all at no charge. I think I'll keep buying their products.

Bub
I may not learn fast but I learn good.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

A quick update of the performance of my new Kimber Ultra Carry, 3" 1911 .45acp.

The sights were dead-on from the factory, no adjustment necessary. I fired 200 rounds of WW 230gr hardball through it to start the break-in process, and at 15 yards, the little gun grouped all 8 shots into just under 2" from a wrist rest off a sandbag on my tailgate, and during "combat" shooting of steel knock-down 1/2 scale silhouettes, I went 8 for 8 almost every time. Impressive for such a small carry pistol, at least to me.

Here's the little puppy in action (I wore ear protection when actually firing):

Here we are shooting steel. You can see the silhouettes in the background...bang, clang! It's a hoot to shoot against a partner, drawing and firing from a snapped carry holster; great practice, and alot of fun to boot. Sort of simulates a gunfight against your buddy, as he has ten silhouettes also, so the first one to finish and clean all 8 is the winner....but don't miss one, our your "dead" so so speak.

In shooting those 200 rounds of full-house ammo, not one failure of any kind. She's a keeper! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA