Kimber Grand Raptor

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Kimber Grand Raptor

Post by skipper »

My son and I went to Gander Mountain yesterday and they had a Grand Raptor. I want it. Does anyone have any experience with this pistol?

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Kimber Grand Raptor

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skip: One of my close friend's wife asked me to help her shop for him for his birthday a few months ago. I know he wanted a new .45apc, so we toddled off to Sportsman's Warehouse together, and I picked out the Grand Raptor for him/her.

I think he's taken it out virtually every weekend and shot it, and he's been talking about how much he likes the pistol almost every day. He reports it has never malfunctioned in any way, no matter what ammo he's poured through it, and is very accurate to boot. He handloads, but to date, has shot only factory stuff, and some handloads another buddy gave him.

He's got a CWP, and carries it daily in his truck, and on his person when dictated. Those are very, very nice pistols. (You may see it in person, as he's another Rat Rodeo Attendee.... ;) )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

MinotBob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender G2 .204 Ruger

Post by MinotBob »

Now that's a nice BBQ gun
MinotBob
skipper

Post by skipper »

I'm going to have to ask Santa for this one. I can't justify spending that much on another pistol right before Christmas. I hope I've been good enough.

Rick,
You might have to put up with the sound of the .50 AE Desert Eagle next summer. I would bring a .22 but it just wouldn't be as much fun.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skip: Well then, you're just going to have to be a very good boy so Santa will be good to you. ;) A Kimber Grand Raptor sure would be a cool thing to find under the tree on Christmas morning though..... :eek:

As for bringing your .50AE...go for it. We've used the .50BMG on Skippy on many occasions....

Here's one my buddy made up for 1,000+ yard stuff. He whittled the stock from scratch too:

You may remember this one too....fresh from the First Gulf War from the Navy (SEALS):

Can't forget the "real" .50 either, the old reliable M2 having a time with "other varmints":

Go ahead, bring that .50...it's rumored that Skippy is well armed too... :lol:

You just can't be too careful when dealing with sneaky rodents! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

Mrs. Santa came through. She sure was sneaky about it, too. She waited until about an hour after all the presents were opened and I was putting the kids toys together before she surprized me. I really like the feel of this pistol. I can't wait to get to the range.

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Very nice rig skipper!! :wink:

Purdy cool wife too!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
skipper

Post by skipper »

Didn't you used to shoot IPSC competitions??? Got any good loads you care to share?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skipper....SAW-WEEEET! Glad to see you scored the Raptor, and not the Grand Raptor. The GR is mostly what I'd call a target pistol, and not really suited to carry, but the Raptor will/is a great carry rig.

Cool that Mrs. Santa came through.....do you think some elves dropped a hint in her ear? :lol:

You now have the epitome of a personal defense/fighting handgun in the best caliber suited for the task, bar none.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

Rick

You, sir, are very observant. :not: You noticed that the pistol I got from Mrs. Santa isn't a Grand Raptor. Just don't tell my wife. She thinks she bought me the Grand Raptor when she actually bought me the Raptor II. She doesn't know the difference and apparently the salesman doesn't either. The Grand Raptor has a stainless lower while the Raptor II has a blue steel lower. The Grand Raptor also has different sights (target sights) than the Raptor II's three Trijicon dot system. I like the three dot sights better than the Grand Raptor's sights.

The salesman tried to sell her the floor model which, apparently, was the only Grand Raptor they had in the store. My wife didn't want to buy the floor model since it had been handled by so many people. She asked the salesman if they had one unopened in the box. When he went to the back he must have pulled a box that said "Raptor" on it and brought it out. She said the one he brought out was $200 cheaper than the one in the showcase, so she thought it was just a newer, or older, model. To both her and the salesman, they were identical. I'll never tell her that they are indeed two different pistols. I don't want to hurt her feelings since she didn't have to get it for me to begin with. She is very much out of her comfort zone around firearms and such. So I just won't let her know there's a difference. Besides, I really like the one she bought. Good eye, my friend. You, obviously, know your Kimbers well.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skip: The secret is safe with me, it'll never pass my lips if ever in the company of Mrs. Santa, I promise. ;) I find your comments about the store salesman interesting and familiar.....another example of "product knowledge" in the workplace. Many times I find myself frustrated when in front of the counter, and I realize the person behind it lacks even a modicum of knowledge of the items he/she is attempting to sell me. :?

I'm glad you're content with the Raptor II, as for what I think you'll use it for, it's much better suited to the task. Like you, I prefer the three dot night sights too, as my ageing eyeballs just don't pick up all-black handgun sights as well as they used to, and I've had 20-20 vision my entire life (getting old sucks, but it still beats the alternative!).

I've sent alot of rounds down range with all three of my Kimbers, and I'm happy to say, I've never had a stovepipe or jam of any kind.....a huge testimonial to Kimber reliability. I can't say that of the countless Colt's I've owned over the years. I'ts nice to have a pistol come from the factory with all the custom work done, and with the reliability one would expect from an auto pistol with the price tag that Kimber's wear.

Again Skip, congratulations on the new acquisition; I know it will give you a lifetime of service. :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

skipper, if you're planning to use the "nominal" 200 grain, SWC cast bullets, lemme know, I have some data that has worked for me for a very long time. Try to stick with the longer-nosed H&G #68 shape, as it feeds better than, say, Speer's blunter design. DO invest in good magazines, like the Wilson, or Shooting Stars, they'll make or break a 1911 quicker than anything else. Nothing is more frustrating than having a great pistol with lousy magazines.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glen: Good point. The only cast SWC I use anymore is the H&G #68 over WW-231. From what I gather, that bullet was the most popular one with all the IPSC guys over the years because of it's longer nose that worked well with the 1911 feed ramp. I used the H&G #130 in my Gold Cups with success, but it will not feed reliabily in hardball guns.

I also agree with your comment about magazines. There are no more "deal-of-the-day" gunshow .45 magazines in my safe, only Shooting Star, Wilson Combat, and Kimber. That lesson was made clear to me right after returning to "The World" when I started glomming onto every nice Colt I could find (and afford) back in the early '70's, smithing them myself, and finding out that the magazine was the weak link in the chain. Good advise then, good advice now.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

My favorite, that I used to cast myself, was the RCBS 45-201KT, a rather blunt variation. Then, RCBS changed it :mad: :mad: :mad: Of course, that didn't effect MY mould, but it did kinda make me mad, as it ruined things for the other guys who wanted the same bullet. It weighed 208 with wheelweights, but shoots like a house afire, and hits hard, too.

I used to use 231, but the recoil is noticeably heavier with 231 vs. AA#2, using the same 5.6gr. charge, so I switched, IPSC being a speed game, less recoil is better, right?
I also have used 9.3 HS-6, but got the same speed :( . Skeeter Skelton favored 7.0 Unique, but it's dirty stuff, so I quit using it. HP-38 should be very similar to 231, in like charges. I've tried others, but those stand out to be the best in my pistols. I even tried the 452AA stuff, when it was popular, but it didn't do anything for me.
Last time I checked in with my IPSC buddies, they were using Tite Group, some miniscule amount, and getting what they needed to "make major".
I quit casting when time got more precious than $$$ were.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
skipper

Post by skipper »

I ordered an El Paso Saddlery holster for the Raptor today. I went with an Austin holster, a Texas belt w/ 24 loops and a 2C magazine pouch, all with basket weave stamping. They told me I'd have to wait 6 weeks for delivery. This isn't a concealed carry rig by any means but this pistol defies concealment anyhow. I wanted something I could take to the field. I've been a handgun hunter for over 20 years now but I've never shot a deer with a 45. My Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum has been my go to gun.

Anybody have any experience with extra magazines for Kimbers? They have Kimber magazines at the local Gander Mountain but I've heard that Wilson are better.