MK III Hunter

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

MK III Hunter

Post by contender hunter »

Hey guys I have a MK III hunter 22 LR. that needs a red dot on it, preferably in a stainless model . Looking for suggestions as I can't make up my mind , Gilmore , sightron . Millett , I would like to stay under 150.00 if possible and I like the ones with the different dot size selections .

Please help !!!!!
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Re: MK III Hunter

Post by YoteSmoker »

Check out the burris speed dot 135mm
contender hunter

Yote , I have always been a fan of Burris optics in regular scopes and have them on alot of my handguns and you can't beat there lifetime warranty , but I see it doesn't come in a silver finish , not sure , Do you have one and if so what gun do you have it on , Thanks
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Contender, look under the posting for broken chamber indicator and you will see a picture of my Mark III with a Gilmore red dot on top. The Gilmore has a 1 MOA dot size while most other red dots have a 3 or 5 MOA dot. Gary
contender hunter

Captqc , I have been considering the gilmore after seeing Ricks and knowing he wouldn't have it if it wasn't quality optics , my problem with gilmore is there very hard to learn about , there site is always down ( I have never seen it up and running ) they won't accept my e-mails , Rick got me there phone number but I haven't tried it yet , it makes me a little skeptical that they will be available for support if I can't get them for info. on there products . By the way do you know what dia. tube there using , I see everything out there from 28mm ( which seems small)to alot of 30mm and some 33mm and the Burris is 35mm , the 35mm seems huge and might look like a spotting scope sitting up there !!!!!!!!!!

Dot size is another question , most dots I'm seeing are 3 MOA and that seems to the standard size , I didn't know the gilmore is a 1 MOA , what does everyone feel is the best all dot size ?? I see there are quite a few that have 4 different dots and crosshairs built into the same scope , seems like a nice option .
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

ch: The Leupold/Gilmore red dots scopes are available in at least three dot sizes, possibly four. The LG-1 like mine and Captqc's have the 1MOA dot, and are perfect for precision aiming aboard something like the Ruger target auto pistols. Using mine aboard my Ruger MK-I 5.5" bull barrel pistol, I can easily shoot ground squirrels at 35 - 50 yards with only the head sticking out of their hole. At 25 yards, using that sight and Winchester Power Points, the little rig will punch one ragged hole that can be covered with a dime.

At 25-35 yards, the dot is still small enough that you can see the entire squirrel with the dot superimposed upon his little rodent body. At 50 yards, the dot will just fit the size of a squirrels head (ground squirrels). If you go shopping for another red dot sight, and want to use it in a similar fashion as we do, you'll not want a dot larger than 1 MOA IMHO.

To hit Skippy as shown here, nothing larger than a 1 MOA will work effectively.
(Photo taken through my 25X Leupold Spotting Scope from the bench)

Skppy dispatched with my Ruger MK-I, WW Power Points and the Leupold/Gilmore LG-1 from 42 yards.

All the above shooting was/is done from a sandbag rest of course. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

Contender Hunter- I had a burris speed dot that worked perfectly on my 44 super redhawk which I no longer have either.
contender hunter

Well I called gilmore today and it doesn't sound good !! They tell that the contract with leupold has run out( Sounds like Leupold was a distributor for them )and that the LG-1 hasn't been made in 10 years and that there releasing some every once in awhile , but there are none avail. at the present time ,but if I wait MAYBE more will be avail. . This is exactly what I was afraid of. I think it would be better to go with a more viable Co. as I'm not sure what's going on at Gilmore !!!

You guys seem to like the 1 MOA dot size , what about tube size ?? , 30 MM seems like middle of the road ? The burris speeddot seems huge with a 35mm tube and the sightron has a 33mm tube .

There's alot of 3 and 5 moa dots out there but I don't see hardly any with a 1 moa like the gilmore .
contender hunter

I just got done checking out the midway site and they offer alot of red dots !! Some of these things have a 11 moa dot !!!!! How in the world could you see what your shooting at with that size dot . Anyway one of the only ones with a 1 moa is the Sightron with a 33mm tube , check it out and let me know what you think !!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005
contender hunter

Well I have decided the 30mm and 33mm are just to big for my mk III rimfire so to get a 1'' tube with a silver finish I guess I will give the Millett SP-1 a try , there only about 60.00 bucks , the only down side is they only come with a 3 MOA dot . Her's a pic.

http://www.swfa.com/p-10803-millett-1x- ... sight.aspx

Has anyone tried one of these yet ???
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Let us know how the 3 mil dot works out for you. There aren't a lot of 1 mil dot units around. I would guess that if you have the intensity down to as low as practical it won't bloom and ruin you sight picture. Gary
contender hunter

Thanks for all the help guys , I went with the Millet , its working great !!! I love it , I'll get a pic up soon when I get time .
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I went with the Ultradot Match Dot as it has a bunch of dot sizes (2,4,6,8 MOA) selectable, as well as a wide range of intensity. The dots go down to a nice fine point. Sorry I don't know more detail, but the thing works nice!

http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Ultr ... DMD30.aspx

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradot_dist_2008_006.htm
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot