Difference in info?

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
K_Hini

Difference in info?

Post by K_Hini »

I have a dilema here!! I have been reading a few different sources that say different max loads for a .357 mag with H110 and 158gr bullet. I have a book that says 17.0, a internet source (steve's reloading pages) that says 17.7, and another book that says 16.7. Which is correct I started the loads at 15.7 and stopped at 17.5 going up in .2gr increments. will this be safe or is it above what anyone else has for info??

my lyman 48th edition manual says 16.3-17.0gr H110. But everyone says that is too high making me think that I am wrong. should I not trust the manual??

158gr hornady XTP
H110 15.7-17.5
CCI small pistol mag primer
.357 mag Taurus tracker

please help
thanks
kyle
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Difference in info?

Post by glenn asher »

If you're going to use Hornady's bullets, I'd suggest using their data, as each bullet shape can effect pressures a lot. A Speer 158 may raise pressures higher than an XTP, for example, simply due to bearing surface lengths.

Some of Lyman's data hasn't been updated in years and years, and with the newer methods of measuring pressures, it may be obsolete, too. Lyman always ran their pressures awfully high, it seemed to me.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
K_Hini

Re: Difference in info?

Post by K_Hini »

I am going to pull these apart and start at 12.6 and work up from there

thanks
kyle