waiting to pick up

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

waiting to pick up

Post by futuretrades »

just bought a smith and wesson model 637 in 38 special + P, for a concealed carry gun. problem is i can't pick it up until aug 8. kalifornia 10 day waiting period. i even had to take a test just to buy the darn thing. finger printed and the while nine yards. now am on a waiting list to take my concealed carry test, have to wait until there are enough people taking the test to make it pay for the instructor.

test so i could buy $ 25.00
revolver $450.00
sales tax $ 32.62
DROS $ 25.00
dealer fee $ 10.00
concealed carry test $125.00
concealed carry permit $250.00, renewable every 2 years at $80.00 a pop

darn near $1000.00 just to have what i need to carry, not to mention i have to drive 80 miles one way just to take the test. :wall:
but i found out that the only way i can legally transport a pistol in kalifornia is to have the permit or spend the money for a lock box when i transport, :huh: even just to shoot for some fun, and i have to keep the ammo in a different compartment from the gun. now what the heck is that about! if the gun is locked up, what the f--k good is the ammo! :eek:
guess i am just too old school.
anyway i went ahead and done it

ps; i also ordered laser grips for it too!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: waiting to pick up

Post by Hotshot »

Do you think the crooks where you live follow all those rules?
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Kevin,
May I suggest you move north a bit to escape the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia! :mad: Or, next spring we'll have to kidnap you and sneak you across the border. :lol: The gun laws are a little better here in Orygun. :camper:
Gary
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

Hotshot wrote:Do you think the crooks where you live follow all those rules?
like any other place, the crooks will always have what they want, and they won't follow the rules.
Captqc wrote:May I suggest you move north a bit to escape the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia! :mad: Or, next spring we'll have to kidnap you and sneak you across the border. :lol: The gun laws are a little better here in Orygun. :camper:
Gary
the thought has crossed my mind a bunch. guess my roots are too deep here where i have been all my life. will be 56 years this month.
a very good lady friend of mine has a job opportunity up in salem. she asked me if she takes the job, will i move to orygun with her. so i am considering moving if she takes the job, but right now i have other commitments here. just had blow off a little steam.
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Kevin: Upon looking at all the charges you had to pay to get your Smith and the right to carry it, I just said to myself "Holy crap!". Captqc understated that the gun laws are much more lieient here in Oregon. A total of $55 gets you investigated by all the appropriate LE agencies, and you get a permit that lasts five years. I feel your pain.

I've read recently in The American Rifleman that Kalifornia liberal Democrats are now trying to legislate ammo sales as a way to strangle handgun ownership. Just one more reason I'll never live there in my life again. I hope your lady friend lands that job here in Orygun so you can get out of the concentration camp state and enjoy your Constitutional rights as they were intended. Of course we all may have to fret if Obama gets elected...... I'll not go there here.

By the way, for a lightweight/summer carry gun when a .45ACP may be pushing the limit for concealed carry and I want a bit more power than my Seecamp LWS .32ACP offers, I recently added a S&W Mdl 642 with Crimson Trace lasergrips to my battery of concealed carry guns. Being one of their Airweight hammerless models used with a front pocket holster and +P 135gr Speer Gold Dot ammo intended for short barreled revolvers, it's a real sweetie for summer carry in a pair of cargo shorts, as it's so light, you don't even know it's there.....until needed.

This shot was prior to the installation of the Crimson Trace grips:

The best of luck with the new Smith, and I hope you join the ranks of former concentration camp state folks up here in the near future. See you at the Rat Rodeo next year, God willing that is.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

thanks for the reply rick, i didn't even realize i was breaking the law when i went out to shoot my model 19 smith in 357 mag. when i bought the gun back in the eighties, i still had an ffl here in Kalifornia. all that was required at the time was to keep the revolver on the seat of the truck when transporting, so it was visible to a peace officer if stopped. now that is called brandishing a firearm, and will result in confiscation of firearm and possible jail time. that is the main reason for the permit. i can list 3 different handguns on the permit in the county i live in, so i may be looking into another wheel gun, maybe 44 mag. figure if i have to go thru all the B S to carry 1 gun, i may as well carry as many as i can, and still keep my ammo with the respective firearm, and they will be accessable if needed.
if a move is in my future, it won't be real soon, but is definite possibillty. this gal has become real special to me, so i may just go with her if she moves to orygun. :chin:
and, yes, god willing, i intend making the rat rodeo next year. :mrgreen:.
nice looking rig rick, the 637 is a hammer job, so i can shoot either single or double action. been trying shooting double action with my 19. and i can actually come close enough to something to scare the crape out of it. :eek:
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Post by rpknaz »

Man I love Arizona, 15 minute background check and out the door you go with your gun. You can even wear it on you in public as long as it not concealed. Sorry don't mean to rub it in, too much. :D
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Rpknaz,
Oregon is the same way but if you wear a gun in the open the retards around Portland will panic and call the cops! :wall: It's better to get a CWL and keep it under wraps.
Gary
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

futuretrades wrote:this gal has become real special to me, so i may just go with her if she moves to orygun. :chin:
just talked to her last nite, she decided not to go to orygun, so a move is not in my future, unless i move south about 80 miles. down where she lives. she makes really good money and is not willing to give that up, unless another offer comes along for even better money and better work environment. :D

thanks for all the sympathy, guys. orygun may still be in my future! :chin: