1911 toughness

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

1911 toughness

Post by surfclod »

Just took my 1911 to the range today, first time I have had it out to shoot in probably 6 years or more. (Don't ask about all the red tape we have up here in Canada for owning and shooting handguns)

I had lots of "Fail to Fire" from the get go, it did get better as I put more rounds through it but it continued far to many times so I cut my session short and decided to give it a good cleaning. When dissembling it I found this.........Image

That the gun would still fire (on average one Fail to Fire per magazine) is a testament to the durability of the design. John Browning was indeed a genius.

I bought the gun in 1995 from Wolverine Supply in Virden MB, John said it was a Vietnam War issue item that had been refurbished. I paid about $250 if I remember correctly and I am planning to sell it to a friend but am not sure what is a fair price as I have heard that original 1911's have gone up in value in recent years. Its only in NRA Fair condition but is an original gov't model 1911, Remington Rand manufactured.

Any suggestions on what would be a fair price? I don't want to overcharge and he doesn't want to find out that he robbed me at some later date.

I had been thinking around $300 (after I replace the mainspring of course), would this be in the ballpark??
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: 1911 toughness

Post by glenn asher »

Current market values are a bit higher than that $300, I'd guess you're about $100 shy, considering the price of a Springfield GI model (roughly $400 now). Remington Rands are pretty common, and they ARE 60+ years old now, but for whatever reasons, they bring good money. I don't think $400 is too much, though.

A new mainspring is cheap enough, but I think I'd spring for a whole Wolff spring kit, if the mainspring has died, the rest are soon to follow. 60 years and the mainspring is just now letting go? It sounds like you got your money's worth :mrgreen: I've actually NEVER seen a mainspring crap out, but that's why they make replacement parts................. I think I've got a couple of spares in my bag, come to think of it.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Wow, that old war horse looks tired, but Glenn is right about a new set of springs. She should run just fine after that. Gary
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

I had a fellow on another forum tell me a bit more about it, the serial no. indicates the frame is a Colt item (1942), the slide is labeled Remington, hammer, trigger, grips and slide stop are from another makes or years of manufacture.

I guess they refurbish them at the armory with what is on hand and cannibalize from other guns.

While a mismatch in poorer condition it still has some collector value I am told, enough that it is best kept original.