Win PP40

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Win PP40

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Has anyone run into any issues with the new boxes of Winchester Power-point .22?

We used to get it in an orange box

and found it shot very well. But the new black box

is producing larger groups, and I've lost nearly 100fps.
The 42gn Power-points never shot real well in my rifle, but they step out faster - weird.
Still kills bunnies, but I'm annoyed that the recipe seems to have changed, along with my tight groups.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Win PP40

Post by Captqc »

Are the part numbers the same on the boxes? :duh: :chin: They do make several flavors of Power Points (at least here in the USA).
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Captqc wrote:Are the part numbers the same on the boxes? :duh: :chin: They do make several flavors of Power Points (at least here in the USA).
As far as I know, there's just the 40's and 42's. On their website they state that the 40's which go to the states are exactly the same, just a different box.
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

The ones I use are part number X22LRPP which are the 40 grain bullets. Here in the USA they come in a silver box. We have had some that wouldn't go bang and even a few that appeared to be overcharged (didn't damage the rifle but did cause a burn on my son's hand from blow-by past the magazine on a Ruger 10/22).
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:Has anyone run into any issues with the new boxes of Winchester Power-point .22?

We used to get it in an orange box

and found it shot very well. But the new black box

is producing larger groups, and I've lost nearly 100fps.
The 42gn Power-points never shot real well in my rifle, but they step out faster - weird.
Still kills bunnies, but I'm annoyed that the recipe seems to have changed, along with my tight groups.

found the same here there not as good as the old pp im having good results with the subsonics though cheers bazz
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Thanks Bazz. At least I know it's not just me.
I sent Winchester an email when I started this thread, but no reply yet. I'll fill you in on any info they give me.
Might be time to try some different ammo. The T22's work alright
ozfox

Post by ozfox »

Im down to my last 50 l havent brought a brick in ages what are we going to use if the black box pp dont shot
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

ozfox wrote:Im down to my last 50 l havent brought a brick in ages what are we going to use if the black box pp dont shot
I wasn't real happy either.
Hadn't been shooting them long, but did a lot of testing with my new Savage MKII and nothing else (beside T22) I could get locally would shoot anywhere near as good. So I went to the LGS and asked for a box, and they tried to sell me the 42PP. I pointed out that they stocked the 40's recently, so they ordered some. 2 months later :mad: I got a brick of the black box gear. $75 wasted.
I'm gonna try a few different torques on the action screws and see what happens. Might be able to use them still
ozfox

Post by ozfox »

Ill have to go to the little gun shops to see if they mite have any and buy the lot
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

my 40 year old brno loves these

Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I'm very limited for choice by my LGS so might have to wait until I do a car trip to Adelaide and get some more trial boxes. Can't do any testing now anyway - at sea for a while.
Keep whackin them bunnies boys!