New Ruger( to me )

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

New Ruger( to me )

Post by savageboy23 »

I finally got my .22wmr. Picked it up from a gentleman at work. Ruger 77/22 with a very nice walnut stock. This is my first ruger bolt action rifle and I am very pleased. This is my first ever "used firearm" purchase. Now comes the fun part of scope shopping. Any suggestions/input?
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: New Ruger( to me )

Post by acloco »

WOW!!!

I am looking for this or the same in 22 rimfire. Excellent rifle.

Personally, I think you need some magnification on 22 rimfires of any kind. IMHO, at least a 4-16x50.

One of my favorite flavors to find...Bushnell or Tasco that were made in Japan (stamped on the eyepiece).
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I have a 4-12 Nikon Prostaff w/ mil dot on my HMR and it works great on squirrels!
K = ½mv2
FourMoCajuns
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 1 AR upper an Spikes Tactical lower

Post by FourMoCajuns »

Man I wish my 77/17 had a stock like that. Zytel is ugly
:eew:
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Went to one of the local gun shops today just browsing for scopes. Looked at a Redfield, Nikon Prostaff, and a Leupold VX-1. All scopes were the 3x9x40mm. Decided on the Leupold. This is also my first Leupold scope and I will be purchasing more. Just need to get the Butler Creek scope caps now.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

That'll work.
K = ½mv2
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

s-boy: There's a few of those Ruger 77/22's and/or 77/17's out there with decent wood. Mine came with a decent stick too for a factory offering. Mine is used for close range walkabouts, so no big glass. It wears the very first Leupold in my stable, an old M8 2-7X from 1967. She's bedded, floated, and wears a Moyers trigger that breaks at exactly 1.5 lbs.:

It doesn't get out much, as I've got other rifles I use more, but being a safe queen, she's keeping her wood in dandy shape there in the back of the safe......

Glad you found a good deal on that Lupy....it's the only brand I'll dink with, and have over 35 of them now in one configuration or another. It should serve you well indeed....congrats. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Thanks RIO. Do you have scope caps on that scope or not? I dont see any in your photos. I was looking at the leupold Aluma covers or butler creek caps.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

s-boy, that rifle doesn't see much use, so "no", no Alumina caps for this one, just a bikini cover.

However, all my primary CF varmint and BG rigs wear Alumina caps. One nice feature they have is that the objective cover folds flat, thereby not obscuring your vision downrange.

They seal out dust very well, seal with o-rings and rare earth magnets....very well made:

They really do "finish off" a nice rifle and sure are functional:

Only problem is that once you get your first set, you'll want them on all your scopes. ($= :eek: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Only problem is that once you get your first set, you'll want them on all your scopes. ($= :eek: )
Ain't that the truth...
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Jim White wrote:
Rick in Oregon wrote: Only problem is that once you get your first set, you'll want them on all your scopes. ($= :eek: )
Ain't that the truth...
That's what I'm afraid :eek: . I only own 1 Leupold at the moment so it's not as tempting lol.