STOKED! New M77/22

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

STOKED! New M77/22

Post by acloco »

Have lusted after a Ruger M77/22 for a LONG time. Finally made the deal on one today. Just a blued with plastic stock, but it was new in the box.

Have held several flavors of rimfire bolt action rifles, but the M77/22 have always felt the best.

Hope it shoots.

Going to leave as is for the time being and put some rounds down range.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: STOKED! New M77/22

Post by RAMOS »

Congratulations, Sir! Best of luck to you and your' new friend. :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hey Tom! Congrats on the new stick! Great little rifles to be sure. I've got three of 'em, two walnut/blue, one laminated.

Here's my 77/22 Mag with a very large rockchuck (16 lbs) taken a few years ago:

I won't load up the forum with pics of mine, but we're lookin' forward to seeing your new one when she comes in. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco

Post by acloco »

Purchased from a private party. They won the rifle in a raffle.

Looked at several scopes on hand, selected a vintage 2.5-10x44 Tasco (Japan glass), and mounted accordingly.

Of interest, I use a product made by IOSSO, called Gun Brite for the external metal care of firearms. Even though this rifle has dark blueing, the blue shop towel removed quite a bit of nasty BROWN on the outside (beginning of rust). Gun Brite (I call it car wax for guns) is an excellent protectant from us (oil/electrolysis), environment, and burnt powder residue on all firearms. Makes cleanup a LOT easier (especially on revolvers) and leaves a barrier that is NOT slippery on the metal parts of firearms. Will also help to remove fine scratches in just about every finish I have tried it on (nickel, chrome, blue, stainless, etc).

As usually, I also swabbed the bore. Started with a blast of carb cleaner, patched out. Clean patch. Blast of Wipeout, patched out....not so clean of patch. Scrubbed with plastic bristle brush coated with Hoppe's #9, patched out.....ugh....dark brown patch. Continued to scrub and patch until a clean patch was the result. Have to love cleaning firearms!!!!

With any luck, might be able to sight in tonight or tomorrow morning. REALLY needs an extended magazine catch!!!
acloco

Post by acloco »

Mrs and I made a trip to the range tonight. Sighted in at 25 yards while running a variety of ammo brands (CCI mini mag, CCI Blazer, Tac 22, Armscor, & Winchester Power Point).

Moved over to 100 yards. As normal, the Blazer was like launching water balloons. :)

Tac 22 was a little better, but nothing to write home about.

CCI mini mag - plain jane round nose - functioned perfectly.

Power Point - good group (did not measure, could see in the scope).

Armscor - the SURPRISE. Definitely faster than the rest and excellent group.

The trigger needs work. Did I mention the trigger needs work? :)
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

In the model 77/17 that I sold to finance my 204, back in 06, I think. I did replace the trigger in that rifle with a Rifle Basix. After install, I had a very crisp pull and absolutely no creep. I really loved the trigger in that rifle. Wish I had her back, but I got enough out of her to buy my 204, with some left over to buy the Leupold on the 204.

From my own experience, I don't think you can go wrong with a Rifle Basix trigger. :yeah:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
acloco

Post by acloco »

futuretrades - Thanks for the tip on the trigger. Going to work on the factory trigger....at least for now. Excellent article with pictures & diagram on one of the dedicated rimfire websites.

Could not sleep, so, at 02:00, I am in the garage wearing sandals and fruit of the looms (yeah....too much info - good thing there is NO windows!!!). Per a couple of different articles, trigger is now under 5 lbs, feels a LOT better, and breaks cleanly. FIVE pounds....yeah...even as I typed that, did not sound right. But, that is with the factory spring still. Will hunt for a different spring tomorrow.

Ordered a laminate stock from Boyds late this afternoon. Just could not go with a thumbhole. I have a couple, but they just don't fit my hand. Went with a "tacticool" jacarda laminate.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Update.

Trigger work - completed. Per a couple articles on the web, with....AHEM...a little file work, and new spring from ACE hardware, M77/22 now has a nice 4.5 lb trigger. A LOT better than the NINE pounder + as it arrived.

BOYDS stock arrived safe and sound. Believe it or not, I am bedding the action. Is a slightly loose fit, but very happy with the tacticool laminate stock.

A vintage Japan made Tasco 2.5-10x44 scope looks like it has found a home on this rifle with the factory Ruger rings.