Ruger 10/22 Target Model

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Ruger 10/22 Target Model

Post by Jim White »

Anyone have any experiences with these? I've seen a few ofthem laying around and was thinking about picking one up. I've noticed that they are a tad muzzle heavy in comparision to the Magnum Research and Tactical Solutions 10/22 clones.

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Ruger 10/22 Target Model

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim, one of my custom 10-22's started life as one of the 10-22T's. Muzzle heavy: "yes". But they have a bit better trigger than the standard models but still not as good as a complete Volquartson 'rebuild' in that department, which was done. The lam stock on these rifles is also too thick in the wrist, along with too much material in the forearm area (easily fixed with some files and sandpaper).

That particular 10-22T rifle now wears a B&C synthetic thumbhole stock, along with a Magnum Research carbon fiber-wrapped barrel......no more muzzle heaviness, and a joy to carry in the field all day. :D

The basic/stock rifle is okay, just a toad to carry all day.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by TwentyBore »

For being a "target" rifle, their triggers are not much better, and their accuracy is not necessarily anything to get excited about.

If you want a target rifle, get a 10/22, and replace the trigger, barrel, and whatever else yourself. ;)
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Thanks, to both of you.

I stumbled over one last night and to be truthfull this was the first one I had seen in quite a while. Actually, I'm planning on getting a Magnum Research or the Tactical Solutions 10/22, both have everything I would ever need in one and I doubt I could upgrade a STD model for the price of just buying one of those.

Thanks again,

Jim
BitterClinger
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 LRPV

Post by BitterClinger »

I think other than the crappy factory trigger these rifles' weak point is the stock bedding. They are too loose in the rear and tend to pivot around the single screw throwing flyers. If you get one it won't shoot consistently until you bed the action. Kidd has the answer with the rear tang. If Ruger had put one in the receiver on the target model it probably would shoot. The original carbine models shoot better than people think they should with that barrel band because the band stops the side to side movement Lots of people put these high dollar barrels on and free float them in a nice stock only to find they don't shoot any better that it did before and that is because of the terrible bedding system the 10/22 has with just the single midpoint action screw.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

I picked up a tactical model several years back that is similar to the TGT model but has a 16" barrel and comes in a Hogue stock. It shoots OK. I did order a Clark trigger group which helps a lot.