CZ455 in 22 RF- Opinions?

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

CZ455 in 22 RF- Opinions?

Post by acloco »

Anybody own a CZ455 (any model) in 22 RF? Opinions please.

Looking to add another 22 rimfire to the group.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: CZ455 in 22 RF- Opinions?

Post by futuretrades »

Hi Tom, I have a CZ452 American in 17HMR. As far as a shooter, this gun is right up there with the best. I really hate the clip setup on the CZ rifles, my only "bitch". Once in a while, when the shooting gets hot and heavy in the "Rat " fields, the way I manipulate the bolt, can be a problem. I just have to keep this in mind, when I shoot the rifle. One of my shooting buddies bought a CZ Youth model, for his grandson. He often times likes to take this "miniature" rifle out for some shooting. He really loves the gun.
Just my 2 cents
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
acloco

Post by acloco »

This purchase will be a total shot in the dark, as I have not handled a CZ45x of any flavor.

What is the issue with the mag/bolt operation??
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Opening the bolt and pulling the bolt back to extract the empties, this part of the operation works flawlessly. My problem is with pushing the bolt forward. I have a tendancy to put some downward pressure on the rear of the bolt when closing. This causes the bolt to "lock-up". I have been shooting bolt action rifles for most of my shooting life, around 55 years or so, and never had any issues with any other bolt gun in my life! To correct this, I was told to push the bolt forward with my thumb. Not natural for me, but this did take care of the problem. The clip thing is just one of my pet pieves. I don't care for the extended clip on any rifle, and the clip release, to me any way, is a joke and a PIA. But that's just me. If I ever buy another bolt rifle, in 22 rf, my preference would be a model 77 Ruger. :chin:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco.....The other thing that peeves me with my CZ's is the "backwards" safety. Virtually every rifle I've ever owned has the safety is pushed forward to fire. The bass-ackwards CZ has this in reverse....push back to fire.....seems backward to me.

Like Kevin above, I'm not all that fond of the mag sticking out under the receiver either, and the release is not all that easy to manipulate, especially when wearing gloves. BUT.....these rifles shoot lights out, and I'll live with the silly safety and magazine arrangement in light of all the other positive aspects of these little rifles.

My CZ 452 in 17 HMR shoots right alongside my Anschutz HMR as far as accuracy is concerned, and it cost half the money if that sez anything. Also, my CZ 527 American in 221FB shoots right at .5 MOA, and that's almost as good as some of my HB CF bench guns....... :chin:

Tom....if you snag the little CZ 452, I don't think you'll be disappointed as long as you go in knowing about the safety and mag issues.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco

Post by acloco »

Thanks for the info. GREATLY appreciated!!!
brooksb
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M12 FV

Post by brooksb »

I have the 455 combo and have been shooting squirrels for the last two seasons with it, my only complaint is the Mag housing is really sensitive to solvents so be careful there, other than that the .17 is really accurate, CZ uses a smaller bore for the 22 that is supposed to give better accuracy but I see only average accuracy. With the smaller bore you'll need to use your 17 rod on the 22 barrel because of the bore dia. The barrel really only take 5 minutes or less the change, and even though I use a torque driver on the screws the POI will change in my experience so i end up making small adjustments to the scope after a barrel change. I have no issues with the bolt op or the safety even the safety is stiff. Even though the barrel is easy to change i have found it more practical to have a separate rifle rather than do the barrel change while in the field shooting.