Would you buy Savage B mag 17wsm???

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
dirtcd
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS Ruger 204, Montana 204,Volquarsten 204

Would you buy Savage B mag 17wsm???

Post by dirtcd »

Has anyone purchased a newer (ser# K or newer) bag in 17wsm? I wondered if ammo was more consistent and if heavy barreled, thumhole stock improved accuracy any? Was thinking on buying one to fill the void between 17hmr and 204ruger?
B23
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Re: Would you buy Savage B mag 17wsm???

Post by B23 »

I bought a HB SS Bmag a couple years ago. Mine was the HB SS model that came with the POS plastic stock. I immediately replaced the plastic POS stock with a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock and had it bed. Bedding the action on a Bmag, because of their design, is a real pain in the arse. You'll see lots of people talk about bedding them but they ARE NOT bedding the action, they're just bedding the barrel which isn't even close to being the same thing but is definitely much easier. I also had the barrel on mine shortened to 20in. and threaded. All I shoot in my Bmag is the 20gr ammo. I've run it across my chronograph and it shoots right at 3000 fps and does so into well under 1in. groups at 100yds, typically they are in the 1/2-3/4 range. The trigger in these things is just kind of "ok" so like all my rimfire rifles I took it all apart then stoned and polished the sears contact points. It's a consistent 2lbs or less with no creep.

To more specifically answer your question, I think one of the Bmag models that comes with a heavy barrel and already in a laminated Boyd's stock is the way to go and had they had that model back when I bought mine, that's what I would have bought. The Bmag definitely has some oddities about it, that is for sure, and for some those oddities are to much to overcome and they just end up hating the gun all together. Some shoot great right out of the box while others take a little fiddling with to make shoot well and there are some, from what I've heard, that never shoot, but you take those chances with just about any gun you buy. Is mine perfect, nope, not even close but I'd have no problem buying one again if something happened to the one I have.

If you just don't feel like taking the chance on one and you want to fill the gap between your 17 HMR and 204 Ruger, I'd take a look at a CZ 527 in 17 Hornet. The initial cost of the gun will be a little more and ammo is definitely more expensive but with the 17 Hornet being a centerfire you can reload for it which brings cost way down. I have a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet and it's a little tack driver, BUT, they aren't a perfect picture either. Being that they are a rimmed case feeding through the magazine isn't exactly a smooth process but that is easily fixed by purchasing a single shot follower from James Calhoon.

Best of luck with whatever you decide and feel free to ask if you have any further questions regarding the Bmag or 17 WSM.
dirtcd
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS Ruger 204, Montana 204,Volquarsten 204

Post by dirtcd »

I always like projects, so I bought a Thumb-hole HB bmag 17wsm. I will shoot it hopefully tomorrow and see how it groups. I am already planning on having the action bedded, re-crown the barrel and remove some the barrel channel to make sure barrel is free floated on the left side all the time, have already turned accu trigger down all the way. What else should I do to achieve sub MOA @ 200 yds for sage rats or should it be 150yrds??? thanks!!! ;)
robert w.
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger american preditor/cz527

Post by robert w. »

Go to gunshack and order an accutrigger target trigger spring.that helps an accutrigger a lot.put 1 in a friends bmag n set it about 1.8 # n he was happy.i put 1 in my 93r17gv n i set it at 1.4# but its used on bench .