Rugger 77/22 All weather bolt hitting scope

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Rugger 77/22 All weather bolt hitting scope

Post by jdefranc938 »

Hey guys,
I have a Ruger 77/22 in All Weather and I have been having trouble with the bolt hitting the scope. The scope is a little Simmons 4x. It cycles fine but the bolt handle just brushes the scope and marks it up. If I do a completely different mount system (Weigand with Weaver mounting system) then I'm afraid the actual bolt knob may hit the scope. I also just bought a nice Leupold VX-II 3-9 x 33 Rimfire but I don't wanna scratch it up since this will be going on the new Cooper which is ordered. Have you guys had any of these issues with this rifle, or any suggestions?

As always, thanks in advance!
Jeff
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Rugger 77/22 All weather bolt hitting scope

Post by futuretrades »

I never had any problems with my Ruger 77/17, which is the same rifle, only in 17 HMR. But I put a Simmons 4-24x50mm adjustable objective on the rifle. There was not enough clearance on the objective end with the high mounts, so I had to get a pair of extra high mounts from Ruger. These mounts eliminated the problem. I also had the same problem as yours with my Vangard in 223. Bolt handle hitting the scope when opened. This is what I had to do to cure the problem. I marked the bolt where it was hitting the scope. Then I pulled the bolt out of the rifle and began filing the area that was hitting the scope with an 8" mill bastard file. After a matter of reinserting the bolt and pulling the bolt a few times, I had taken care of the clearance problem. I then used some 400 and then 600 grit sand paper to get rid of the file marks on the bolt. I then borrowed some cold blueing (Birchwood-Casey) touch up from a fellow shooter, and did a touch up job on the bolt. The touch up is not noticeable unless you know where I did the touch up. I am still shooting the rifle after the problem was cured, 6 or 7 years ago. And I shoot it a heck of a lot, as this is one of my varmint rifles for taking care of skippy every spring and into early summer, usually going thru 700 to 1200 rounds each year! :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
LeeC

Re: Rugger 77/22 All weather bolt hitting scope

Post by LeeC »

I had the same problem, but mailed the rings back to Ruger and they sent me the extra-high at no charge. I imagine they will still do that.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson