Ruger 77/17

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Ruger 77/17

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I bought a new Ruger 77/17hmr Beautiful gun on the out side but has a 5lb12oz trigger that slides forever before firing. The bullets haven't seddled down to a group yet it spits them all over I have been running a brush and patches down the barrel every nine shots. Some of the rounds won't feed in to the chamber and other feed some what smooth. Any suggestions on how to tame this beast and make it shoot.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Ruger 77/17

Post by ryutzy »

I have that gun in the heavy barrel SS model. Not sure if that's the same one you are shooting or not. I put a Timney sear and spring kit in my gun to fix the heavy trigger pull and BINGO! Shes now a great shooter. I shoot the 17 grain Hornady vmax. Before I lightened the trigger I had trouble shooting less than an inch 5 shot groups. Now my trigger pull is super light and my groups are now at .5 in 5 shot groups at 100yards. I was thrilled!!! I hope you get your issue figured out, but first things first, fix that trigger and then see how much your groups improve. The Timney kit is great but does require minor filing. I had my gunsmith do it because he had the tools to do it. The directions were easy to follow as what to do.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Ryan S Albright

When I bought the rifle I figured I would have to change the trigger out from all I have read from other owners. I have been using the 17gr Vmax bullets my Savage really likes them. I am going to take the rifle out again and shoot and clean the barrel I hope it settles in. I am not sure yet what to polish to get the action to smooth up. weather its the feed on the clip or the edge of the chamber. Thanks for the encouragement Ryutzy.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

It would be easy to eliminate a mag problem, by trying another mag. You need more than one anyway.....

Riflebasix trigger..... drop in.

Check your action and barrel screws, if it's not a threaded barrel.

Check your crown.

Make sure the barrel is free floated.
Ryan S Albright

To day I took the rifle out again to shoot and the bullets where all over the place looked like I used a shot gun. I brought the gun home and free floalted the barrel and polished the bolt face sear and any thing I could get to with Fitz polish and a drimmel. The day was a waist of ammo. Hope fully I can shoot tomorrow after noon. I did break out the 204 Heavy and killed a few ground squirrels around the area. It helped to relieve a little tension. The weather was great every thing is green and lush right now.
Ryan S Albright

It was cold and windy this afternoon but I managed to test fire the Ruger 77/17. After floating the barrel I got it to group but the trigger will have to go. I can't imagine why Ruger would put so much effort in the looks of the rifle and have such a stiff action and stiff trigger let alone a gun that would not even group out of the box. I would thing you would have to be a gun smith to own one of these rifles. Iam going have to take the clip apart there is always two rounds about four rounds deep that will not load I believe there is a flaw in the rotor of two positions that force the round higher in the clip.
Ryan S Albright

It was cold and windy this afternoon but I managed to test fire the Ruger 77/17. After floating the barrel I got it to group but the trigger will have to go. I can't imagine why Ruger would put so much effort in the looks of the rifle and have such a stiff action and stiff trigger let alone a gun that would not even group out of the box. I would thing you would have to be a gun smith to own one of these rifles. Iam going have to take the clip apart there is always two rounds about four rounds deep that will not load I believe there is a flaw in the rotor of two positions that force the round higher in the clip.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

You may want to get another clip. Both of mine work flawlessly. Hope you can get that thing to shoot.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

77/17's don't use clips. They use rotary magazines.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Thanks huntsman, that's what I meant and said it wrong.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I had a Ruger 77/17 a few years back. it was the all weather stainless heavy varmint barrel. You are right the Ruger triggers, in most cases really do SUCK. I installed a Rifle Basix trigger in mine and it was pure joy to shoot and kill stuff with. The only reason I sold it, was to purchase my 204. I had 2 rotary clips for it and never had a problem with either of them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ryan - Same experience here. I started out with a Ruger 77/22 Mag, had to glass bed the action and a 2" chamber support in the barrel channel, plus install a Moyers trigger that really helped. The thing shot +V Maxi-Mag ammo into about 5/8" at 100 yards.

Then I decided on a switch-barrel rig, and ordered a Lilja 17HMR barrel to match the original contour. It fit right into the stock, and with the Moyers trigger and the Lilja 17HMR barrel, is truly wicked on ground squirrels to 250+ yards if the wind is not up. Longest lasered/witnessed kill on a (very unlucky) rat is 328 yards.

I'd replace your magazines with new ones and start fresh, as they're usually very reliable.

These guns can shoot, but it always takes a bunch of dinking about with triggers, bedding, barrels.....all the usual suspects. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ryan S Albright

I ordered a rifle basix trigger and two magazines and will have to wait. I was surprized that the barrel isn't held by a block like the 10/22s is this a good thing or bad?
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

It's a good thing, only if you don't have to swap barrels yourself. The earlier v-blocks(like the 10-22) made it easier to change barrel/caliber without having to use a gunsmith(for those without the capabilities). If you can't get it shooting, and have to send it back to Ruger, don't forget to take off any aftermarket parts. They will replace them, and NOT return any parts not to their specs.
Ryan S Albright

I will get it working myself. The triggers on my other Rugers after changing them out are great I have two Remingtons that I have yet to get the triggers working as well as the Rugers I have thought about selling the Remmingtons. Once I have the Rugers dialed in they are great shooters. I parted with My Ruger M77 in .243 with a heavy barrel and I still have heart aches over it. I have to remind myself they are only wood and steel.