Update on Ruger 77/17

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Update on Ruger 77/17

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I found that the rifle likes cci 20gr ammo it loads from the three magezines fine. Hornady ammo for some reason doesn't load well or group well out of this Ruger. I installed a Rifle basix trigger. Easy install and just one quarter turn adjustment done deal. I have floated the barrel and glass bedded the action just in front and have had to grind back the glass to about one inch. I am thinking of removing more in hopes it will shoot the 17gr bullets. This rifle has the screw in threaded barrel. I not sure if this is a good thing or not but thats how the new rifles come now from the factory. For some reason they have a large slot cut out on the bottom of the barrel close to the action. This is a standard weight barrel or sporter barrel the rifle is the blued model. With the right ammo the action is smooth and the magazines work fine by changing ammo I have found the rifle shoots well. I am still working for better groups and hoping to get it shooting with a larger selection and weight of bullets.
Ryan S Albright

Re: Update on Ruger 77/17

I bought some CCI 20gr game point bullets. My rifle doesn't like these ether it seems to like the full metel jacket bullets I was hoping to get away from these. The game points shoot 4 inches to the right from the fmj's. and like to fly around. I am breaking the stock down to grind back the bedding further. I hope this helps the groups.
Ryan S Albright

Ground back the bedding and fully floated the barrel. This did nothing to help. The rifle likes 20gr full metel jackets. I am tired and discusted. Iam not sure weather to change the barrel or not. One thing thats sure is that this rifle stays at home when I head north for ground squirrels. What I would like to say is that nothing bothers my savage which cost half as much as my shiney Ruger. I feel like shipping the rifle back to Ruger. I had another 17HMR an auto loader from excell arms which I returned three times. The rifle had good accuracy with all ammo but jammed constintly. I just picked it up a week ago. They changed both the bolt out and put a new stock on the rifle and adjusted the clips it works great now. It only took returning it to them three times over three years to get it right.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Im sorry to hear that about your gun. I love mine and it feeds hornady ammo perfectly and shoots them even better! It is completely stock except for the Timney spring and sear kit for the trigger. It shoots 3/4 in 5 shot groups at 100 consistently and often better when I do my part. I shoot the 17 grain vmax. I need to shoot another group at 100 since I've cleaned the barrel with JB bore shine. It seems to be even more accurate but I haven't tested it at 100 since. Here is a pic of mine. (at the top)
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Ryan S Albright

When I get back from my trip I will contact Ruger. I have sent rifles back to them before and wasn't impressed. I suspect that the barrel is the problem that there is a flaw some where.
Ryan S Albright

Removed the Rifle Basix trigger from the Ruger M77/17 and sent the rifle back to Ruger to see if they can find out why the rifle won't group. Cost $30 dollars for shipping. I will let you know how it works out.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Do you have access to a bore scope?
Ryan S Albright

No I don't. I sent the Rifle back to Ruger to day I got a letter stating that the Rifle was beyond repair and that they would send me a new one but I would have to pay the FFL transfer fees which are $65 dollars here in Kalifornia. I wonder if it is just easier for them to send a new rifle than work on one. If I contacted them I wonder if they could even tell me what the problem is. Any body have any suggestions.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Take the new gun and roll with it!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

One of my shooting buddies just had a problem with a brand new S&W revolver. Sent back to S&W and they said the gun will be destroyed, and send a new gun to the dealer where he originally purchased the gun. The thing is, he also had to pay transfer fee, $25, plus another 10 day waiting period. Plan on waiting to get that new rifle, Ryan. Guess that's what we get for the honor of living in the Republic of Kalifornia
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Ryan S Albright

Thanks for the replies. Ruger did say they where going to destroy the old rifle as soon as I decided on what I wanted to do.