Bedding 10/22 and seeking advice

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
RoadKill
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem. 700VLS and 23" G2 barrel on older Contender

Bedding 10/22 and seeking advice

Post by RoadKill »

This one is the Compact still with factory 16.5” blued skinny barrel in an otherwise plain but pretty shorter pull Walnut stock with no barrel band. It tends to vertical string though not quite as bad as the other 2 or 3 standard carbines I’ve owned in the past, but the trigger on this one was by far the worst I’ve ever encountered on anything. I too often interrupted making a shot just to make sure that I hadn’t neglected to take it off “Safe”. So after missing yet another opportunity to dispatch cat food thieving possum I sought and received instant gratification through the purchase of a Volquartsen trigger housing/group costing about what I paid for the gun. This two minute “drop-in” made a very significant improvement to the gun’s operation but it has also infected me with some sort of “sickness”. Now I “must” do more!

What are you guys doing (and not doing) to bed the action and/or barrel on your 10/22? I’ve already ordered an “elevating” barrel retainer (Gunsmither) and VQ’s “bedding system” to get started but I’m not finding overall agreement on what or how it should all be set in epoxy, other than most insist the barrel must be supported after the retainer. I had fully floated in mind but now I ain’t so sure. What has been working for you?
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Re: Bedding 10/22 and seeking advice

Post by inKYfromSD »

The fact the a 10/22 barrel is attached to the action with a v-block and there's only one action screw pretty much limits your bedding options.

I hope I'm not out of line by posting this but rimfirecentral.com has a TON of info for the 10/22. Be warned: if you have "the sickness", hide your wallet from yourself before browsing there... :)
RoadKill

Post by RoadKill »

I’m still sorting thru what I see on RFC and other sources all wanting to help empty my wallet. If/when the fever gets really serious; Connecticut Precision Chambering is apparently the place to go for the cure.
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

Just noticed your post. I pillar bedded my 10-22 & put on a Thumbhole Boyd's laminated wood stock. Had a gunsmith do a trigger job to 2 1/4# with al the take up slack shims as nec. He was sent the Slide bolt as well & a titanium firing pin & extractor was installed. I put on a Green River S.S. Fluted Bull Barrel. Then I free floated the stock / barrel. Added a extended magazine release & ELEY 22LR Match ammo. It shoots x ring all day long at 75 yards - 10 & x ring all day long at 100 yards. My e-mail is jerry.ballew@yahoo.com if you want any free help or suggestions. this is the 5th one I have done.!
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Bedding should be the last thing you do. Most times its unneccesary with a decent aftermarket stock. What kind of accuracy are you expecting to get with a 10/22 where bedding will make a noticeable improvemnt?
K = ½mv2
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

I have never heard of anyone bedding a 10/22.
Both of mine came with a bad grouping issue. Hogue .920" barrels solved that stone cold.
I bought mine on the package deal from Natchez, or Midway. Barrel and stock combo for around $150.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
RoadKill

Post by RoadKill »

I got it bad and don’t know how to stop, and don’t care. Here’s where these are at now, ready for the fine tuning to include the bedding I asked about in the beginning. I’ll see how they do “as is” and if worthy of showing off I’ll be back soon with all the details.

Later
RoadKill

Post by RoadKill »

Cranked 20 rounds through the 17” GM Heavy Taper in the top photo of CCI Mini-Mag HP seasoning and dialing in the Vari-V III 2.5-8x33 then at 50 yards got 5/8” for 9 of 10 and with the one Mini-Mag flyer blowing it for 1-1/4”.

Shot 20 or maybe it was 30 CCI SV through the 16.5” Kidd in the other photo for seasoning and dialing in the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 then got 9/16” for 10 shots at 50 yards and with ignoring two for poor shooting I can claim 7/16” for eight.

The rifles did good for just slapped together and I expect it to get better with fine tuning in better stocks. I blew something on assembly or something I replaced with aftermarket isn’t exactly right on the Mark II interfering with the magazine seating. It’s got feeding problems it never had before and I need to fix it before I can really enjoy the Volquartsen trigger pieces that work very well.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I usually bed about every rifle I own. About the only exception are the two 10-22's I shoot regulary for ground squirrel control on local ranches.

Using WW 40gr Power Point HP ammo, both rifles shoot right at 1/2 - 5/8" at 50 yds, better with match ammo, but who shoots solid point match ammo at varmints? Anyway, I may bed both eventually, but when they shoot so well now, I'm loathe to dink about with either of them for fear of ruining what may be now "as good as it gets". Know what I mean?

The Clark Custom w/Douglas .920 bbl @ 16" and a Boyd's lam thumbhole, all action parts are Volquartson and Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X in Lupy mounts and rings (known to me as "Heavy Helga"):

The companion 10-22 with a Bell & Carlson synthetic thumbhole stock and Accu-Lite graphite 16" barrel, innards also all Volquartson and Lupy Vari-X 3-9X EFR, also in Lupy rings/mount (known to me as "Light Lola"):

As both rifles are used for either static or walkabout shooting, they've collectively killed literally thousands of Belding's Ground Squirrels....and NO bedding other than the decent factory inletting....hence my reluctance to do any bedding work. That may change when I've got time on my hands, but for now, I love 'em, and Skippy really HATES 'em. Just the way I like it. :lol:

So I suppose in the end, if yours shoots decently, don't dink with it. However we all know how WE are, don't we? :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RoadKill

Post by RoadKill »

Cool 10/22's there RIO, did that Douglas begin as a blank and then finished by Clark? If I keep up this nonsense which appears likely, I’m leaning towards a Douglas XX finished and threaded by CPC to a Kidd Supergrade for the next one.

There’s plenty room for improvement in all my stocks but if they already fit and preformed well too I would just leave them alone. The Kidd Classic receiver now in the Hogue has a rear tang still sitting in the box and it’s definitely going to get used when it goes in the B&C Varmint/Target stock.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Sorry to tell you this Mr Roadkill....But you have the disease and yes, it's TERMINAL.....soon you may find yourself sending your bolt out to Que for reworking and maybe even sending him your barrel for a bit of his "magic" then pulling that trigger group out and mailing it to Brimstone or some of the others....Oh my......You poor soul......I will include you in my prayers..... :wall: :hic:
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Gotta love the 10/22!
K = ½mv2
RoadKill

Post by RoadKill »

I can quit anytime I want, or soon as I get done with these, and the forth one already started, and if I really wanted to, I think... :eek:

Kidd 18” polished bull barrel
B&C Varmint/Target stock
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mmSF
Burris Signature Zee 30mm Medium
Kidd Classic receiver w/10MOA
Kidd internals – Black Scalloped Bolt
Kidd Single Stage Trigger set at 1-1/2 pounds

Kidd 16.5” polished bull barrel
PWS T-Rex stock - Midnight
Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40mmAO
Burris Signature Zee 1” Medium
Kidd Classic receiver w/10 MOA
Kidd internals – Silver Scalloped Bolt
Kidd Single Stage Trigger set at 1-1/2 pounds

Green Mountain 17” Heavy Taper barrel
Nylon Hogue stock
Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36mm me thinks on objective
Leupold QRW rings1” Low
Ruger base
Ruger receiver
Ruger bolt with rework by Randy at CPC, Volquartsen firing pin & extractor added later
Superior Concepts bolt handle with Kidd guide rod & std. weight spring
Yellow Jacket bolt stop buffer
Tactical Innovations adjustable v-block w/o set screw contact
Tactical Innovations CNC trigger housing
Volquartsen magazine release
Power Custom extended bolt release
Power Custom hammer/adjustable sear/disconnect
Rimfire Technologies trigger blade and torsion spring return
Spit & polish then tested by “Brimstone” at 2-1/4 pounds

Kidd Classic Receiver with Rear Tang installed and Raven Eye Flanged Pillar, Escutcheon, and Takedown Screw up front. The rear tang requires a shallow slot ¼” wide and 5/8” long beginning with a ¼” cleaning rod access hole up top. Another through hole at bottom is countersunk 82* inside the receiver to accept the tang attaching screw. Kidd receivers are ready for the tang and I’ll soon be adapting the Ruger so it too can have solid two anchor point receiver bedding.

Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Bedding is pretty much pointless with the single mounting screw...I put a .920 flutes barrel on mine after I had a trigger job done and had the bolt re-works a bit....I can routinely shoot groups of less than 1/2 inch at 50 yards with it now....it's not a lightweight...but it will shoot lights out.....Might want to look into having Que do a bit of his magic on your bolt or barrel....Brimstone does wonders with that trigger group......
Hondo83
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700

Post by Hondo83 »

Green mountain barrels power custom trigger kits bolt release custom v-blocks and stockys thumbhole anshultz stocks free floated the barrels shoots lights out!!!
ImageImage