Ruger 77/17 Accuracy fix

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Ruger 77/17 Accuracy fix

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I Received my new Rifle from Ruger it also shot bullets all over the target. So I decided to float the barrel this did little to improve groups. I installed the rifle Basix trigger. Then I glass bedded the action. This helped but I messed up the mix of Devcon and it came out soft but there was much improvement in groups then I shimmed the rear trigger guard this really made a difference. I noticed that the trigger that catches inside the action and swings around the stock in to place had a lot of deflection on it when you torqued the screw in so I used a washer as a shim to ease this and it worked. So I dug out the old glass bedding and mixed up a new batch. ImageImageImageImagethe target is a picture of a group of the last bedding job and the make shift shim. Old targets look like shot gun blast at forty yards. I don,t know what to tell Ruger. I don't know if there is any helping the Ruger company.
Ryan S Albright

Re: Ruger 77/17 Accuracy fix

Here are some earlier targets his project has taken a lot of time and ammo.ImageImageImageImageNotice the large area in front of the breach block that is empty this is a spin on barrel the stock must be a left over of the bolt on barrel. A lot of empty room. The breech block wasn't touching the stock so when you torqued the front action screw down you where putting strange presures on the barrel and action. The other bad strain is at the trigger guard with the swing around hinge.
RoadKill
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem. 700VLS and 23" G2 barrel on older Contender

Post by RoadKill »

I bought a beautiful 77/22 in .22 Mag not long after they first came out. It wasn’t nearly as bad as those targets but after two different cheap lookin scratchy action Marlins put it to shame I soon sold it. The new owner says that after putting many more rounds through it, it finally started shooting decent groups. I reckon he finished breaking it in.

Anyways, Randy at Connecticut Precision Chambering, LLC (ct-precision.com) is supposed to be able to do magic with the Ruger 10/22 and 77/22 bolts, triggers, chambering, and crowns. I’ve got two of his 10/22 bolts and he will probably get a couple barrels to rework soon.
Ryan S Albright

Thanks I have considered sending my rifle to them but wanted to do a little more home work. His prices are decent. Its just sad that Ruger can't let me talk to any body technical all I get is cubical monitor watchers who keep apologizing for there sorry performance. If I get it shooting decent I might sell it. It has to shoot good enough my continence will not bother to sell it. I am kinda over this rifle ready to move on and go back to my Savage 93.
RoadKill
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem. 700VLS and 23" G2 barrel on older Contender

Post by RoadKill »

The 10/22 is a relatively cheap gun evidently designed for folks happy so long as it goes bang. For the money, I was expecting much more from that 77/22 and it soon had to go, maybe too soon. I have two 10/22 projects going on now and when done the only parts still Ruger will have been modified. Ruger could’ve done much better, but I’m having fun getting these things done right and doing all of it I can myself. IMO, the 77/whatever$ ought to shoot straight out of the box without the fuss and extra expense.
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

If you or anyone is interested in bedding a rifle action / stock I would suggest you use "EPOXY STEEL". Many years ago my Gunsmith friend advised me to use epoxy steel instead of "Brownells Glass Bedding". He said it was thicker & easier to work with. He also said it was extremely strong & rigid when dried overnight. He further advised I remove the trigger group & fill all holes with Modeling Clay & coat all with Johnsons Paste wax or a similar heavy paste wax. Don't forget to fill the screw holes with paste wax & heavily coat the action screws before sinching it down. He said to Epoxy bed the Chamber area but free float the rest of the barrel. I have epoxy bedded all my rifles & several for friend, it is always a big improvement. To get the barreled action out of the tight fitting bedding, place a towel folded a couple of time on your work bench & with the bolts all removed wrap the barrel on the towel to set up harmonic vibrations to loosen it. It may take a couple of wraps to loosen it. Have fun punching tighter groups, That means more dead rats as well.
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

Another suggestion, Buy some barrel lapping compoung & lap the barrel. I did this years ago on a 17Remington & it came in beautifully. I did not use the PLUG method but rather a good cleaning jag with as many patches as it took to make a very tight fit with lapping compound on the patch. I drew it back & forth from the receiver end & would run it back & forth in short strokes on draggy spots. After that I cleaned it very well until all patches came out as clean as they entered. Hope this helps also.
Ryan S Albright

Thanks for the info. I have set the Rifle aside for a while. I will get it out again soon and work with it a little I will most likely re bed it one more time. I had been grinding the devcon bedding back a little to find the sweet spot. I have lost the accuracy once again I had to take a break. I have been working on a AR-15 and I have an old 17 Remington I need to do some more home work on the loading bench.
Promapper
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 24" on Bushmaster lower with Luepold 8.5-20x40

Post by Promapper »

wow, that looks like my savage 17 hmr. crowned it bedded it and no help.
Joe McCarthy (Republican senator from Wisconsin (1947–57) WAS RIGHT ! And no one listened. NOW LOOK WHAT WE GOT !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCarthy