New USMC Sniper Rifle XM3

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

New USMC Sniper Rifle XM3

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The Marines have fielded what is considered by professional operators and Marines in the field, to be the best sniper rifle in the world, the XM3.

This new weapon was pushed through the usual beaucratic red tape by an agency called DARPA (Desfnse Advance Research Project Agency), an agency that gets things done in a hurry when needed.

The weapon is build entirely by IBA (Iron Brigade Armory, headed by veteran snipers Roy and Rocky Chandler) with prime parts from Remington, McMillian, Hart, and Nightforce (NXS). It has a Sure Fire supressor, and a new UNS (Universal Night Sight) with non-critical mounting on a Picitinny rail. The barrel is only 18.5" long (six groove, 1/10" twist), and with the supressor mounted, is very handy in the field, and has sub MOA accuracy out to 1000 yards, effective to 1200 yards, and is chambered in 7.62 NATO.

Early SITREPS from firefights indicate that we own the night with this weapon out to 800 yards with one shot kills (at night!), and one particular rifle with two operators has already logged just over 100 confirmed in only four months. All operators questioned say they love the rifle, as it also is about 6lbs lighter than the old M40A3 fully equipped. Standard ammo is Black Hills Match 175gr or Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr.

Note from the photos that the UNS does not have to be mounted any particular distance from the objective lens of the scope, nor does it need to be directly in line. Quite an advancement in night scopes compared to the old Starlight scopes we had in the 60's in Viet Nam.

Below are some photos of the new weapon, sorry for the poor quality, but I had to scan them from actual photos. If you want more on this new rifle, Precision Shooting has the full scoop in this months issue.

Let's hope this weapon is produced in mass for our troops. The Army MAY get the XM3 too, but by the time that particular branch approves and procures, the action in the middle east may well be over. At least our Marines have some now to counter the insurgent threat.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Re: New USMC Sniper Rifle XM3

Post by Sidewinderwa »

So we should be expecting it at Sportsman's Warehouse in a month or two???? I would like to take it out for a test ride!!! :lol:
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sidewinderwa: Don't think we'll ever see these puppies for sale at Sportsman's or anywhere else in our lifetimes. Even if we did, from what I hear, none of us could afford one anyway, as they are brutally expensive.

This is much more of a big deal than my post indicates, as it is the cumulative result of many years of research by both private and Pentagon agencies, neccesatated by the current state of affairs in the two theaters of war we're currently engaged in at present.

I've read reports of night firefights that involved our snipers equipped with this rifle, and the effects are quite impressive, believe me. Doubtful if the Army will ever pony up, ditto for the Air Force, but the Marines and Navy (SEALS) have them now in theate, and are using them to excellent effect.

We'll just have to be content with our varmint rifles! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

$18g's equipted.

Only main gripe I have heard from the interent gossip queens is the 18.5" barrel. I don't know about suppressors at all but does that add to barrel length in terms of losing velocity at all?
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

savage rookie: Well, those internet gossip queens also do not know that the XM3 outperformed virtually EVERY other 7.62 sniper rifle for accuracy to 1000 yards, and equaled the .300 Win Mags at that range. It WILL shoot sub MOA at 1,000 yards every time.

Also in regard to that 18.5" barrel length, a barrel any longer with an effective supressor is completely ungainly in the field and tight urban quarters. The combination of barrel and supressor on the XM3 makes for a perfect marriage of the combination for practical purposes. It obviously has more than enough velocity and energy at that range to have the intended effect on the target.

Unless you are facing the muzzle at discharge (not advised), the supressor also acts as a very effective flash supressor, so during night ops, the operator is further protected from detection when using this weapon.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

They copied my squirrel rifle! ;)

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Dave, you must remember that the XM3 is also a Varmint Rifle......it's just for a different species of varmint! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Rick, well said! :wtg:
Gary
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Rick in Oregon wrote: This new weapon was pushed through the usual beaucratic red tape by an agency called DARPA (Desfnse Advance Research Project Agency), an agency that gets things done in a hurry when needed.
We can also thank them for this fine internet (ARPANet), no matter what Al Gore says!

Here's some history if you're interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

Oh almost forgot, that's a sweet new shooter or defenders will be sporting!
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

savage rookie wrote:

Only main gripe I have heard from the interent gossip queens is the 18.5" barrel. I don't know about suppressors at all but does that add to barrel length in terms of losing velocity at all?
My analysis indicates that all this new gear and fast deployment thereof are a result of recent experience with MOUT scenarios.

What I see on TV, is that these small unit actions in urban operations involving the thousand cuts philosophy is an attempt by insurgents to trap patrols in situations where a hundred of them attack squads or platoons with assault weapons and RPGs, in an attempt to either wipe the small unit out or create a large number of casualties (and headlines similar to Blackhawk down which I'm sure they view as their "finest hour.")

The use of accurate .30 caliber rifle fire (or 5.56 70grain AP) at ranges under 500 yards is a force multiplier that rapidly takes the fight out of insurgents, who then either capitulate or run away. Long barrel is not required as ranges are much shorter. The attenuator is a really good idea since it adds stealth to the sniper location. The low power scope 1.8 - 10x37 is perfect for this short range application. A single unit is optimized for 50 to 500 yards with lightweight and compactness. Hits need to be the kind that are the most efficient at taking out these threats.(Apricots?)

The M24 and M40A3 still have application in conventional sniper operations in my view as do ABRAMS and BRADLEY vehicles in conventional tank battles. In this case planners need to adapt and overcome these new threats.

PS: There also is nothing wrong with the scope manufacturer they have chosen, they just need to shorten the tube to reduce the power range to 2 to 8 in my view.

jayph
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jayph »

Should be a nice rifle for them

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Critter and I managed to get our paws on that particular McMillan stock early in the game. His ended up on his superb varmint rifle pictured above, while mine ended up on a law-enforcement SWAT sniper rifle for an extended test and eval that turned into a permanent deal for me thanks to the generosity of Kelly McMillan.

My Krieger barreled rifle with the M40A1-3 stock and Critter's superb USO scope. Quite a combination - that has produced some quite respectable accuracy.

A better view of the McMillan stock, complete with what I dubbed "blood grooves" - and alas - saddled with my good old Leupold instead of Critter's USO.

It's nice to see the guys are getting such outstanding equipment. They need and deserve the best.

Semper Fi, Guy