39 grain Sierra Blitzkings and groundhogs

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Billy J
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

39 grain Sierra Blitzkings and groundhogs

Post by Billy J »

I was wondering if anyone on here has been trouble with surface splash with the 39 grain sierra blitzkings on groundhogs at longer ranges 200 yards and beyond. I was reading on another forum that some were having this problem.
I have been using them exclusively, and have had very good success with them. I have a stock Savage model 12FV. I found a load that it liked and have stuck with it. Some have had good success with the 40 grain vmaxs, but I haven't tried through my gun. Has anyone that has the same gun tried shooting the 40 vmaxs. I know some guns will shoot them good, but others will not.

Thanks, Billy
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: 39 grain Sierra Blitzkings and groundhogs

Post by Glen »

I've been using that bullet for the last three years on groundhogs & have yet to have a surface splash. I have opened a couple up like a prairie dog & my Wife even blew the head clean off of one :wink: but no surface splashes for me. I'm running them at 3850fps too.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Billy J

Post by Billy J »

Glenn,

I have had the same results as you. I hae been running about the same speed as you, and haven't seen this problem yet. I was reading a post off of predator masters. A couple of people had switched to the 35 grain bergers because of it.

Thanks, Billy
Glen

Post by Glen »

I forgot to mention the ranges have been from 65yds out to 349. So I'm actually hitting the hogs at many different velocities. But no splashes to date. Just keep using them & carry a camera. I would like to see the results of one splashing.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Glen

Post by Glen »

On pge two of this link you will see the headless groundhog. Complete with the video of Diane shooting it. :lol:

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5&start=15

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Billy J

Post by Billy J »

Glen,

I will be sure to mention it if it happens. Like you I'm extremely pleased with the 39 sbk's.

Thanks, Billy
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Post by darchell »

Billy J.

My 2 cents, I am also shooting 39 SBK's at ground hogs, and some fairly large ones. I have not had a survase splash yet. I have hit them in all reagions of the body, and have yet to have any survive. The range has been from about 40 yards to 462 yards. On the smaller ones they pop like "skippY the larger onses they make a 20 caliber entry and explode inside causing jelly. I have hit a couple on the shoulder bone and also on the head at different angles, no splash. Hope this helps.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

I shot a big coyote and a racoon in the face\ head area and the bullet blew up and did'nt kill them. I had to shoot the coon again in the ribs and the coyote got away. :mad: They were both snap shots at moveing animals, so not really where I wanted to hit them. But it's a little to lightly constructed for bone, at least on tougher varmints I think. All other shot coyotes, coons, ect, have been in the body or neck and death was instant, so if you stay away from bone you should be OK. I'm shooting my 39 BK's at 3800fps. I am courious about the 45 gr Hornady SP for tougher stuff. I tried the 35 gr Bergers and it seemed they had too much muzzle blast and wind drift, so I stuck with the 39BK's.
Baja_Traveler
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12BTCSS

Post by Baja_Traveler »

cshooter wrote:I shot a big coyote and a racoon in the face\ head area and the bullet blew up and did'nt kill them. I had to shoot the coon again in the ribs and the coyote got away. :mad: They were both snap shots at moveing animals, so not really where I wanted to hit them. But it's a little to lightly constructed for bone, at least on tougher varmints I think. All other shot coyotes, coons, ect, have been in the body or neck and death was instant, so if you stay away from bone you should be OK. I'm shooting my 39 BK's at 3800fps. I am courious about the 45 gr Hornady SP for tougher stuff. I tried the 35 gr Bergers and it seemed they had too much muzzle blast and wind drift, so I stuck with the 39BK's.

Just curious what barrel you have that would allow you to shoot a 45 grain bullet -

I've got the complete selection of 40 grain and less bullets from everyone, ready to try for my Savage, but have to wait for my powder order to come in to start :wall:
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .204
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Baja_Traveler wrote:
cshooter wrote:I shot a big coyote and a racoon in the face\ head area and the bullet blew up and did'nt kill them. I had to shoot the coon again in the ribs and the coyote got away. :mad: They were both snap shots at moveing animals, so not really where I wanted to hit them. But it's a little to lightly constructed for bone, at least on tougher varmints I think. All other shot coyotes, coons, ect, have been in the body or neck and death was instant, so if you stay away from bone you should be OK. I'm shooting my 39 BK's at 3800fps. I am courious about the 45 gr Hornady SP for tougher stuff. I tried the 35 gr Bergers and it seemed they had too much muzzle blast and wind drift, so I stuck with the 39BK's.

Just curious what barrel you have that would allow you to shoot a 45 grain bullet -

I've got the complete selection of 40 grain and less bullets from everyone, ready to try for my Savage, but have to wait for my powder order to come in to start :wall:
Actually, you would be quite surprised as to how well the 45 gr sp's fly. Their overall length is shorter than the 40 v-max or the 39 BK, which makes for good stabilization in the factory 12 twist tubes. Length has more of a bearing for stabilization than weight. Here is a photo of some 20 cal bullets for comparison. the 45 gr sp is in the center.
http://www.rugerhunting.com/forum/viewt ... 9&start=15
Savage Vaporizer
Baja_Traveler
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12BTCSS

Post by Baja_Traveler »

Interesting - Please post a report when you get a chance to try them out!

I see we shoot the same brass...
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .204
Gube

Post by Gube »

Baja_Traveler wrote:Interesting - Please post a report when you get a chance to try them out!

I see we shoot the same brass...
I have used them. Tried them on P-dogs but nothing spectacular. Shot two yotes this spring with them and knocked them flat. Tiny 20 cal entrance hole, quarter sized exit on one. One that I hit in the shoulder blade did not exit. Range was around 200 yds. They will print out about 1/2" groups on paper at 100 yds but not quite as accurate as the bergers or the 39 gr Bk's but pretty darn close. I use 24.3 gr of RL-10X
Savage Vaporizer
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

Gube, what rifle are you shooting those 45's out of ? Good chance they would work for me also, if we have like rifles..............
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Post by darchell »

I have been using the 39 BK's all year with not one surface splash. I have shot them from 35 - over 460 yards. No problems yet. They have been hit from mid body up. I am a little slower at around 3650.
Gube

Post by Gube »

cshooter wrote:Gube, what rifle are you shooting those 45's out of ? Good chance they would work for me also, if we have like rifles..............
I've used them in both of my savage 12's. One is a VLP and the other is a BTVSS. I have not tried them in my "Tikka Light" yet, but I'm sure they will do fine in there as well.
Savage Vaporizer