Ballistic Plex recticle

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
DarkNight
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP, Custom White Oaks AR-15 .204 Ruger

Ballistic Plex recticle

Post by DarkNight »

Do any of you guys have experience shooting the .204 using a Burris Ballistic Plex recticle? I'm curious how the elevation markings in the scope work for this round. I realize the recticle is more designed for the .223, .22-250, etc, but if anyone has done a little experimenting with this scope in the .204, I'd sure like to know what they have found.

Thanks in advance!
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Ballistic Plex recticle

Post by Joe O »

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopespecs2.html

Here's the page from the Burris web site,that may help.I picked my bullets,which were Sie 6mm 95MK and Sie 6mm 70gr BK,called Sierra,gave them the MV and sight in @ 300yds.They computed the trajectory @ 50 yd intervals to 1000yds.I have a mil dot,and wanted the ranges charted by mil dots or portions thereof,so I set three inch target dots on a 48" sheet of paper,starting at the top for a 300yd zero,and measured the drop placing a dot for every 50yd t0 600yds.NO SHOOTING INVOLVED.Target was at 300yds(I lucked out in a location on my property to get a clear 300yd distance).Just mark down the relation between the drop/dots and the reticle marks.Now I need to affirm the sightin @ 300yds as well as the longer distances.The mils only go up to 5,above and below,so I'll need to crank the elevation knob for ranges,from 550-1000+.For instance ,the 500yd elevation is 4.9 Mildots,placing the target just above the heavy post at the bottom of the reticle,should be it.I just set the chart up yesterday,so I'll let you know how I come out.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Ballistic Plex recticle

Post by Joe O »

I was at the range yesterday,and using my sight in at 300yds (1" high),I used 1.8 mil dots for 400 yds and shot over the target,so disregard ,my previous reply,about setting up drop aiming points ,to measure the number of mills needed for additional yardage.THAT MAY WORK WITH A SCOPE THAT HAS THE RETICLE IN THE 1ST FOCAL PLANE.I'll get it worked out,but it will be at a specific power setting.Group at 300yds was .947,or aprox .315 MOA.